From: kenseto on

"Timo A. Nieminen" <timo(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, kenseto wrote:

> > of
> > only
> >>
> >> Consider an object, with position in a particular inertial coordinate
> >> system (aka inertial reference frame) given by r(t). It can only be in
one
> >> place at a time, and is always somewhere at any time; thus r(t) is a
> >> function. The problem is that not only does r depend on choice of
> >> coordinate system, but so does t.
> >>
> >> So, what to do? Introduce a parameter that is independent of choice of
> >> coordinate system, such as the "proper time" T, and we can write
> >> R(T) = (r,t)
> >> as a 4-vector valued function. How can any individual object _not_ have
> >> world line?
>
> [cut]
> >
> > You did not answer my question: What is the motion of an object that
cause
> > it to have a world-line???
>
> If that was your question, you should have asked it in the first place.
> You asked: "how does an individual object have world-line?" The answer is
> that motion really has nothing to do with it; an object has a world line
> if it is somewhere at any given time.

An object somewhere at any given time and somewhere else at different given
time is velocity. So your bogus assertion is a bunch of baloney.

Ken Seto

From: Igor on

kenseto wrote:
> "Timo A. Nieminen" <timo(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote in message

> passage
> > > of
> the
> > > only

> one

> > [cut]
> > >
> > > You did not answer my question: What is the motion of an object that
> cause
> > > it to have a world-line???
> >
> > If that was your question, you should have asked it in the first place.
> > You asked: "how does an individual object have world-line?" The answer is
> > that motion really has nothing to do with it; an object has a world line
> > if it is somewhere at any given time.
>
> An object somewhere at any given time and somewhere else at different given
> time is velocity. So your bogus assertion is a bunch of baloney.

And if that's your definition of velocity, no wonder you're having
trouble understanding all this.

From: Barry on
Timo A. Nieminen wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, kenseto wrote:

>> You did not answer my question: What is the motion of an object that
>> cause
>> it to have a world-line???

> The answer
> is that motion really has nothing to do with it; an object has a world
> line if it is somewhere at any given time.

I don't think so.

An object has a world line if it is somewhere or somewheres throughout a
period of time.

Motion does have something to do with it, the object must move through
spacetime. What you describe might be more accurately called an event
(or a cotemperaneous cluster of events).

Barry
From: kenseto on

"Igor" <thoovler(a)excite.com> wrote in message

> kenseto wrote:
> > "Timo A. Nieminen" <timo(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote in message

> > passage
> > the

> > one

> > > [cut]

> > cause
> > >
> > > If that was your question, you should have asked it in the first
place.
> > > You asked: "how does an individual object have world-line?" The answer
is
> > > that motion really has nothing to do with it; an object has a world
line
> > > if it is somewhere at any given time.
> >
> > An object somewhere at any given time and somewhere else at different
given
> > time is velocity. So your bogus assertion is a bunch of baloney.
>
> And if that's your definition of velocity, no wonder you're having
> trouble understanding all this.

That's my definition of motion. If an object is at different location at
different time then he is in a state of motion.

From: kenseto on

"YBM" <ybmess(a)nooos.fr> wrote in message
> kenseto a ?crit :
> > "YBM" <ybmess(a)nooos.fr> wrote in message
> >
> >>kenseto a ?crit :

> > of

> > mean

> >>Well, I'm right not to have bet on that... not that I did believe it
> >>actualy.
> >>
> >>Back to basics : the worldline of Ken Seto is defined in a specific
> >>frame F as the set of the t-uples (x,y,z,t) tagging in F the events
> >>"at time t, Ken Seto is at coordinates (x,y,z)".
> >

> > This is not basic you are talking about relative motion between me
and
> > frame F. In my frame of reference my coordinates are (0,0,0) at all
time.
> > Why? Because SR and I assumed that I am in a state of rest and all the
> > objects around me are doing the moving. Even though that I assume that I
am
> > in a state of rest I still have a worldline. This applies to all the
object
> > that are at rest wrt me.
>
> So what ? In that case (Seto at rest in F), my definition works as well
> and gives { (x_s,y_s,z_s,t) / t \in R } where (x_s,y_s,z_s) is your
> constant spacial coordinates...

You keep on using F as a reference for me. I can have a world line without
any reference. F can see that I have a different world line after I
accelerated. But that's because I changed my state of absolute motion.

> BTW, you seem (in another post of this thread) to suggest that a
> worldline could be defined without refering to a frame. Please do so.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Hard SR questions?
Next: relativity vs velocity addition