From: loxfarm on

-------------------------------------

I recently downloaded my Quicken 2001 to my laptop (running Windows
Vista). Program runs fine but when I try to print a report, I get error
that it can't open printer. When I check in Printer setup, it's showing
the correct printer name (Brother HL-2170W series) but on NE02: instead of
USB001 (I assumed that NE02: was referring to the port number).

Printer works fine with all other programs on laptop. I temporarily get
around the problem by printing to an ASCII disk file, then printing the
report out of Windows Notepad.

Is there any way to fix Quicken to recognize the correct port designation?

Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
Tax and Accounting Software Forums
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 21835 messages and counting!
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "loxfarm" <hproesel_at_bellsouth_dot_net(a)foo.com>

| -------------------------------------

| I recently downloaded my Quicken 2001 to my laptop (running Windows
| Vista). Program runs fine but when I try to print a report, I get error
| that it can't open printer. When I check in Printer setup, it's showing
| the correct printer name (Brother HL-2170W series) but on NE02: instead of
| USB001 (I assumed that NE02: was referring to the port number).

| Printer works fine with all other programs on laptop. I temporarily get
| around the problem by printing to an ASCII disk file, then printing the
| report out of Windows Notepad.

| Is there any way to fix Quicken to recognize the correct port designation?

Quicken 2001 isn't Vista compliant.

--
Dave

From: loxfarm on
loxfarm had written this in response to
http://www.rockryno.com/quicken/Quicken-2001-and-USB-printer-22448-.htm :
I understand that I'm still in the stone age but I never felt the need to
upgrade when all I do is track my checkbook and my financial institution
only exports .QIF and .QFX formats. Since I'm pretty comfortable with .QIF
and don't know anything about .QFX, I was hesitant to make the leap.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade. If I were to upgrade to
the latest which I think is the 2010 version, do you know of any problems
with the data transfer from one to the other?

Thanks in advance!
Hollie

Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
Tax and Accounting Software Forums
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 21837 messages and counting!
From: slb on
I have the same problem with XP. When I loaded Quicken Premier 2008 it
assigned my Epson Photo Stylus to NE04 and my Brother laser to NE05.
Apparently Quicken thinks these are network printers. They're actually plugged
into a USB hub. The laser can't print the image properly....prints in tiny
point size. The Epson prints fine. Both printers list correctly to USB ports
and work fine in every other application.

Both printers also worked properly in my previous Quicken version.

Tried everything short of rebuilding the entire system. I'm moving to Win7
this weekend. Who knows, maybe the problem will magically disappear?

From: loxfarm on
loxfarm had written this in response to
http://www.rockryno.com/quicken/Re-Quicken-2001-and-USB-printer-22451-.htm
:
slb,
As I was awaiting responses to my inquiry here, I was looking on the
Intuit site and noticed that there was a Rev 3 available for my Quicken
2001. I downloaded it and lo and behold! the Print Reports function now
works!!!! There were no release notes attached to the download that I
could see and when I look at the Printer Setup in Quicken, it still says
NE02:. I guess it's all magic!!! Just make sure that you back up your
data to a couple of different places and check to see if there are any
updates to your Quicken Premier 2008 beforehand.

I went to this link:
http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/using-quicken/patches-and-updates/3793.html
to find my update.
Thanks for your input.
Hollie

-------------------------------------
slb wrote:

> I have the same problem with XP. When I loaded Quicken Premier 2008 it
> assigned my Epson Photo Stylus to NE04 and my Brother laser to NE05.
> Apparently Quicken thinks these are network printers. They're actually
> plugged
> into a USB hub. The laser can't print the image properly....prints in
> tiny
> point size. The Epson prints fine. Both printers list correctly to USB
> ports
> and work fine in every other application.

> Both printers also worked properly in my previous Quicken version.

> Tried everything short of rebuilding the entire system. I'm moving to
> Win7
> this weekend. Who knows, maybe the problem will magically disappear?

> loxfarm wrote:

>> loxfarm had written this in response to
>>
>> http://www.rockryno.com/quicken/Quicken-2001-and-USB-printer-22448-.htm
> :
>> I understand that I'm still in the stone age but I never felt the
>> need to
>> upgrade when all I do is track my checkbook and my financial
>> institution
>> only exports .QIF and .QFX formats. Since I'm pretty comfortable
>> with .QIF
>> and don't know anything about .QFX, I was hesitant to make the
>> leap.
>>
>> I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade. If I were to
>> upgrade to
>> the latest which I think is the 2010 version, do you know of any
>> problems
>> with the data transfer from one to the other?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>> Hollie

>> Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
>> Tax and Accounting Software Forums
>> Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup -
>> alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 21837 messages and counting!

Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/
Tax and Accounting Software Forums
alt.comp.software.financial.quicken - 21839 messages and counting!