From: John Pollard on
Tod wrote:

> My understanding has been that a transaction list recalculation (Ctrl-
> Z) would correct the zero cost basis error in QW2010.

That jogs my memory ... and a much better approach.

--

John Pollard

From: R. C. White on
Hi, John.

This cost basis problem happened to me today. I had sold one and bought 2
stocks on December 28, 2009. At first, the Portfolio listing showed them
correctly. But today, basis on one of my new purchases was zero and the
other was $303 when it should have been over $7,000.

I had originally entered the transactions manually, based on what my broker
told me on the phone within a minute or two of my placing the orders; then I
had downloaded, matched and accepted the same transactions (with the same
correct amounts). And, yes, I did Reconcile the account to the downloaded
statement as of 12/31/09. But today, the wrong costs appeared.

Based on your post, I opened the Register for the broker, clicked each
transaction, clicked Edit, then OK, with. Then the Portfolio view showed
the correct amounts. ;<)

Thanks, John.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: John Pollard on
R. C. White wrote:
> Hi, John.
>
> This cost basis problem happened to me today. I had sold one and
> bought 2 stocks on December 28, 2009. At first, the Portfolio
> listing showed them correctly. But today, basis on one of my new
> purchases was zero and the other was $303 when it should have been
> over $7,000.
> I had originally entered the transactions manually, based on what my
> broker told me on the phone within a minute or two of my placing the
> orders; then I had downloaded, matched and accepted the same
> transactions (with the same correct amounts). And, yes, I did
> Reconcile the account to the downloaded statement as of 12/31/09. But
> today, the wrong costs appeared.

That's interesting. Up to now, I don't recall reading from anyone who
could pinpoint the timing as you have. And, if the cause of the problem
is reconciling, I'm not clear why the delay in the appearance of the
problem.

Just so I understand a bit better; did the problem only occur for
transactions that got reconciled (whose cleared status got changed from
blank or "c", to "R") ... not to transactions that were already reconciled
at the time you did the most recent reconcile?

> Based on your post, I opened the Register for the broker, clicked each
> transaction, clicked Edit, then OK, with. Then the Portfolio view
> showed the correct amounts. ;<)
>
> Thanks, John.

You're welcome.

I give at least half the credit to Tod for remembering the "recalculation"
method for recovery. I had read of it, but forgot when I posted here. If
the problem should occur to many transactions in the account, the CTRL+Z
(recalculation) approach could save quite a bit of manual effort. [I try
to remember to tell folks to backup before doing things like recalculating
a register ... just in case. I suspect you don't need such a caution.]

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: R. C. White on
Oops! Got interrupted...

> Based on your post, I opened the Register for the broker, clicked each
> transaction, clicked Edit, then OK, with. Then the Portfolio view showed

Should say, "then OK, without changing anything. Then the Portfolio view
showed

RC

From: R. C. White on
Hi, again, John.

Inline..

> R. C. White wrote:
>> Hi, John.
>>
>> This cost basis problem happened to me today. I had sold one and
>> bought 2 stocks on December 28, 2009. At first, the Portfolio
>> listing showed them correctly. But today, basis on one of my new
>> purchases was zero and the other was $303 when it should have been
>> over $7,000.
>> I had originally entered the transactions manually, based on what my
>> broker told me on the phone within a minute or two of my placing the
>> orders; then I had downloaded, matched and accepted the same
>> transactions (with the same correct amounts). And, yes, I did
>> Reconcile the account to the downloaded statement as of 12/31/09. But
>> today, the wrong costs appeared.
>
> That's interesting. Up to now, I don't recall reading from anyone who
> could pinpoint the timing as you have. And, if the cause of the problem
> is reconciling, I'm not clear why the delay in the appearance of the
> problem.
>
> Just so I understand a bit better; did the problem only occur for
> transactions that got reconciled (whose cleared status got changed from
> blank or "c", to "R") ... not to transactions that were already reconciled
> at the time you did the most recent reconcile?

Right. Reconciling to the paper statement (actually, printed by me from a
download) is probably redundant as I'm moving more into the online mindset.
But the cost changes in the Portfolio listing happened only to the two
stocks that I purchased last week - and those were my only two securities
purchases for all of 2009.

>> Based on your post, I opened the Register for the broker, clicked each
>> transaction, clicked Edit, then OK, with. Then the Portfolio view
>> showed the correct amounts. ;<)
>>
>> Thanks, John.
>
> You're welcome.
>
> I give at least half the credit to Tod for remembering the "recalculation"
> method for recovery. I had read of it, but forgot when I posted here. If
> the problem should occur to many transactions in the account, the CTRL+Z
> (recalculation) approach could save quite a bit of manual effort. [I try
> to remember to tell folks to backup before doing things like recalculating
> a register ... just in case. I suspect you don't need such a caution.]
>
> --
>
> John Pollard

I also forgot the Ctrl+Z approach - if I ever knew it - and didn't reread
this later message until after I already did the Edit/OK steps.

Everything looks OK now, and Intuit will probably have this bug fixed before
I buy any more stocks. ;<)

RC