From: granpoob on
I upgraded to 2010 from 2007 about 3 weeks ago. After doing a Year End
Net Worth, I found the figure was off by a considerable amount. A
little tracking and I found that the Cost Basis for most of my
Investment accounts is completely wrong. Haven't figured out why yet
but I did determine that by deleting the transaction and re-entering
it, Quicken appears to take the now re-entered information into
account. I only did this for 2 transactiona and can't be certain the
re-calculation is correct, however, it is clear the cost basis changes
once i do this delete and re-enter. The main problem here is that I
can't see myself doing this for each of the literally hundreds of
transactions I have in each investment account. Validation and Super-
Validation do not solve the problem and no errors are reported. Anyone
else seeing this? If so, any solutions?

Regards and Happy New Year to everyone.

From: John Pollard on
granpoob wrote:
> I upgraded to 2010 from 2007 about 3 weeks ago. After doing a Year End
> Net Worth, I found the figure was off by a considerable amount. A
> little tracking and I found that the Cost Basis for most of my
> Investment accounts is completely wrong. Haven't figured out why yet
> but I did determine that by deleting the transaction and re-entering
> it, Quicken appears to take the now re-entered information into
> account. I only did this for 2 transactiona and can't be certain the
> re-calculation is correct, however, it is clear the cost basis changes
> once i do this delete and re-enter. The main problem here is that I
> can't see myself doing this for each of the literally hundreds of
> transactions I have in each investment account. Validation and Super-
> Validation do not solve the problem and no errors are reported. Anyone
> else seeing this? If so, any solutions?

I've forgotten the details, but this sounds like a bug that was discovered
having to do with reconciling investment accounts.

If I recall, you could restore the correct cost basis by just selecting
the transaction, clicking Edit, then clicking OK. If that doesn't work,
you can try Cut/Paste.

And if it is the reconciles that are causing the problem, stop reconciling
until there is a patch. I believe R4 is due out before the end of
February - though I don't know whether it will address this issue.

--

John Pollard

From: Tod on
On Jan 4, 5:02 pm, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> granpoob wrote:
> > I upgraded to 2010 from 2007 about 3 weeks ago. After doing a Year End
> > Net Worth, I found the figure was off by a considerable amount. A
> > little tracking and I found that the Cost Basis for most of my
> > Investment accounts is completely wrong. Haven't figured out why yet
> > but I did determine that by deleting the transaction and re-entering
> > it, Quicken appears to take the now re-entered information into
> > account. I only did this for 2 transactiona and can't be certain the
> > re-calculation is correct, however, it is clear the cost basis changes
> > once i do this delete and re-enter. The main problem here is that I
> > can't see myself doing this for each of the literally hundreds of
> > transactions I have in each investment account. Validation and Super-
> > Validation do not solve the problem and no errors are reported. Anyone
> > else seeing this? If so, any solutions?
>
> I've forgotten the details, but this sounds like a bug that was discovered
> having to do with reconciling investment accounts.
>
> If I recall, you could restore the correct cost basis by just selecting
> the transaction, clicking Edit, then clicking OK.  If that doesn't work,
> you can try Cut/Paste.
>
> And if it is the reconciles that are causing the problem, stop reconciling
> until there is a patch.  I believe R4 is due out before the end of
> February - though I don't know whether it will address this issue.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard

My understanding has been that a transaction list recalculation (Ctrl-
Z) would correct the zero cost basis error in QW2010.
From: granpoob on
On Jan 4, 7:08 pm, Tod <tod.use...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 5:02 pm, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > granpoob wrote:
> > > I upgraded to 2010 from 2007 about 3 weeks ago. After doing a Year End
> > > Net Worth, I found the figure was off by a considerable amount. A
> > > little tracking and I found that the Cost Basis for most of my
> > > Investment accounts is completely wrong. Haven't figured out why yet
> > > but I did determine that by deleting the transaction and re-entering
> > > it, Quicken appears to take the now re-entered information into
> > > account. I only did this for 2 transactiona and can't be certain the
> > > re-calculation is correct, however, it is clear the cost basis changes
> > > once i do this delete and re-enter. The main problem here is that I
> > > can't see myself doing this for each of the literally hundreds of
> > > transactions I have in each investment account. Validation and Super-
> > > Validation do not solve the problem and no errors are reported. Anyone
> > > else seeing this? If so, any solutions?
>
> > I've forgotten the details, but this sounds like a bug that was discovered
> > having to do with reconciling investment accounts.
>
> > If I recall, you could restore the correct cost basis by just selecting
> > the transaction, clicking Edit, then clicking OK.  If that doesn't work,
> > you can try Cut/Paste.
>
> > And if it is the reconciles that are causing the problem, stop reconciling
> > until there is a patch.  I believe R4 is due out before the end of
> > February - though I don't know whether it will address this issue.
>
> > --
>
> > John Pollard
>
> My understanding has been that a transaction list recalculation (Ctrl-
> Z) would correct the zero cost basis error in QW2010.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the feedback.Would you mind walking me through the Ctrl-
Z procedure you mentioned? Do I hit those keys when I do a File-Open?

From: granpoob on
On Jan 4, 9:20 pm, granpoob <charlie.ma...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 4, 7:08 pm, Tod <tod.use...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > I've forgotten the details, but this sounds like a bug that was discovered
> > > having to do with reconciling investment accounts.
>
> > > If I recall, you could restore the correct cost basis by just selecting
> > > the transaction, clicking Edit, then clicking OK.  If that doesn't work,
> > > you can try Cut/Paste.
>
> > > And if it is the reconciles that are causing the problem, stop reconciling
> > > until there is a patch.  I believe R4 is due out before the end of
> > > February - though I don't know whether it will address this issue.
>
> > > --
>
> > > John Pollard
>
> > My understanding has been that a transaction list recalculation (Ctrl-
> > Z) would correct the zero cost basis error in QW2010.- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for all the feedback.Would you mind walking me through the Ctrl-
> Z procedure you mentioned? Do I hit those keys when I do a File-Open?- Hide quoted text -

Well, did quick search on the usenet group and found the
procedure.Looks like the CTRL-Z did the trick. Thanks for the input.I
was thinking my file (been running since early 1990's !) was finally
going to have to be put to bed.