From: Tim Conway on

"mmurrell" <mmurrell(a)cableone.net> wrote in message
On Nov 10, 8:06 pm, Don in San Antonio <d...(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Check that you both have the same display monitor format. That is
> 16x9 or 4x3. I read somewhere that it makes a differnce in whether
> the side bars are available. Also check that you both have the same
> or approximately the same screen resolution. The higher the better.- Hide
> quoted text -

Thank you for your suggestions. I have make sure our start up screen
is the same and the navigation checks are the same. I still can see
the account bar, the tool bar, and tabs. He can not.

Our resoultion is similar.....mine as high as it will go....his a
little less.

However, could you please elaborate on the "Display Monitor Format"
that you mention above? What does the 16x9 or 4x3 mean? Where can I
read more about this. I really think you may be on to something
here. I cannot for the life of me....believe all our settings are so
similar, but he can not see any of the bars or tabs. Any further help
will be appreicaited. Thank You

16x9 is much more rectangular than 4x3. They are aspect ratios. A 4x3
screen is like a standard size tv or monitor and a 16x9 is comparable to a
movie screen - much wider than tall.

From: mmurrell on
On Nov 11, 4:48 pm, "Tim Conway" <tconway_...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> 16x9 is much more rectangular than 4x3.  They are aspect ratios.  A 4x3
> screen is like a standard size tv or monitor and a 16x9 is comparable to a
> movie screen - much wider than tall.

Where are these settings? Can they be changed or do you just have
what you have? Where can I read about the possibility that you may
not be able to view bars if you have certain "Display Monitor Format"?
From: John Pollard on
Don in San Antonio wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2:00 pm, mmurrell <mmurr...(a)cableone.net> wrote:
>> I am helping a friend. We both have Quicken 2010 R2, using Windows XP
>> Home. I have the action bar, the tool bar,the account bar docked on
>> the left and tabs all showing.
>>
>> He has none of these....but perhaps the action bar. He is another
>> city and I am talking with him over the phone. It is hard to tell
>> EXACTLY what is on his screen. I told him to go to VIEW and be sure
>> there were checks in "Show tabs and action bar" and "Show Tool Bar"
>> and that there checks in his account bar menu next to "Dock" and "On
>> The Left". He has done all of this.....but to no avail.
>>
>> When I click on VIEW I have a different drop down menu than he does.

>> He has something like Classic View/Stand View/ etc etc.
>> These are not even choices to me.

This does not seem possible to me [and I have Q2010 RPM R2].

I can't imagine how you two can ever get in sync, if you start so
totally out of sync. I have yet to read of a Q2010 user (other than you)
whose "View" menu did not offer the choices of "Classic menus" and
"Standard menus". If you do not see those options, I would suspect a
faulty installation.

I also can find no evidence that there is any inherant Q2010 restriction
on displaying (what I believe you to mean is) the "Account Bar". The
options for the Account Bar are available in the View menu drop down, and
in
Edit > Preferences > Quicken Program > Navigation.

>> He was in classic view because it "ungreyed" more of the item on the
>> row where "file/edit/view/tools/etc/etc" is. I have had him choose
>> the classic view and the standard view and then made sure he had the
>> checks in the view menu as described above.

>> He still can not see his account bar, his tool bar, his tabs, and
>> perhaps his action bar.

One way to eliminate those items from view is to start Quicken in "Full
Screen Mode"; see

Edit > Preferences > Quicken Program > Startup

You can tell if you are in Full Screen Mode, if pressing F11 restores your
toolbar, etc. ... and if pressing F11 again, causes the toolbar to
disappear.

--

John Pollard

From: mmurrell on
On Nov 11, 8:14 pm, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Don in San Antonio wrote:
>

>   I can't imagine how you two can ever get in sync, if you start so
> totally out of sync.  I have yet to read of a Q2010 user (other than you)
> whose "View" menu did not offer the choices of "Classic menus" and
> "Standard menus".  If you do not see those options, I would suspect a
> faulty installation.

As to the different choices we had under the "view" menu: I had my
"On start up open to" set to an account register. He had his "On
start up open to" set to banking. Depending on what you have your "On
start up open to" set to will change the possibilities under the
"view" menu.

> One way to eliminate those items from view is to start Quicken in "Full
> Screen Mode"; see
>
> Edit > Preferences > Quicken Program > Startup
>
> You can tell if you are in Full Screen Mode, if pressing F11 restores your
> toolbar, etc. ... and if pressing F11 again, causes the toolbar to
> disappear.

Thanks so much THIS IS IT! I can't believe I did not check his
Quicken Preferences Startup ACTIONS!. He did have a check in the
start up in full screen. Thanks again.
This has been hard, because I can't see his screen, just talking with
him over the phone!

From: John Pollard on
mmurrell wrote:
> On Nov 11, 8:14 pm, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Don in San Antonio wrote:
>>

>> I can't imagine how you two can ever get in sync, if you start so
>> totally out of sync. I have yet to read of a Q2010 user (other than
>> you) whose "View" menu did not offer the choices of "Classic menus"
>> and "Standard menus". If you do not see those options, I would
>> suspect a faulty installation.
>

> As to the different choices we had under the "view" menu: I had my
> "On start up open to" set to an account register. He had his "On
> start up open to" set to banking. Depending on what you have your "On
> start up open to" set to will change the possibilities under the
> "view" menu.

I think this is a bit of a backward way to explain your original post.

If you choose to open Q2010 to the Transactions Tab (register) of a
specific account (which you can only do when the "Classic menus" are
chosen), you can not then select different menus in the View menu ... but
if you know that, posting that you could not see the menu choices in the
View menu ("These are not even choices for me") was misleading.

--

John Pollard