From: Antares 531 on
Is there a book like this available? I would like to buy a book like
this or one like my Windows 7 Visual Quick Tips book. There are lots
of things about Quicken that I haven't yet learned, and I'd like to
speed up my learning process.

For example, how can I change the "Category" for a long list of
entries that I have inadvertently entered under the wrong category?
That is, I'd like to revise some of these old entries' category such
that my TurboTax software will group them in the proper way.

I need a book...any suggestions?

Thanks, Gordon
From: Mr.Jan on
On Feb 13, 9:15 am, Antares 531 <gordonlrDEL...(a)swbell.net> wrote:
> Is there a book like this available? I would like to buy a book like
> this or one like my Windows 7 Visual Quick Tips book. There are lots
> of things about Quicken that I haven't yet learned, and I'd like to
> speed up my learning process.
>
> For example, how can I change the "Category" for a long list of
> entries that I have inadvertently entered under the wrong category?
> That is, I'd like to revise some of these old entries' category such
> that my TurboTax software will group them in the proper way.
>
> I need a book...any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Gordon

http://www.amazon.com/Quicken-2010-Dummies-Stephen-Nelson/dp/0470490020/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266073950&sr=1-1

I did a quick check on Amazon and found Quicken for Dummies 2010 for
$16 and you can get it shipped for free if you buy something else for
$10.

You will get a lot of advise here too. To change the category for a
large list there are several approaches depending on what the original
entries look like
The fastest is to hold down the control key and click on each of the
transactions you want to change. Then use the right mouse button and
select EDIT TRANSACTION(s). You will see REPLACE SELECTED FIELDS WITH
at the bottom. Select CATEGORY from the drop down and then select the
correct category. It ill change every transaction you have selected.
From: Tim Conway on

"Antares 531" <gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote in message
> Is there a book like this available? I would like to buy a book like
> this or one like my Windows 7 Visual Quick Tips book. There are lots
> of things about Quicken that I haven't yet learned, and I'd like to
> speed up my learning process.
>
> For example, how can I change the "Category" for a long list of
> entries that I have inadvertently entered under the wrong category?
> That is, I'd like to revise some of these old entries' category such
> that my TurboTax software will group them in the proper way.
>
> I need a book...any suggestions?

That "Video Professor" that you see advertised on tv has a segment on
Quicken. They're pretty good tutorials, but be forewarned that once you use
them, they try to keep selling you other "lessons".

From: Antares 531 on
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 08:15:46 -0600, Antares 531
<gordonlrDELETE(a)swbell.net> wrote:

>Is there a book like this available? I would like to buy a book like
>this or one like my Windows 7 Visual Quick Tips book. There are lots
>of things about Quicken that I haven't yet learned, and I'd like to
>speed up my learning process.
>
>For example, how can I change the "Category" for a long list of
>entries that I have inadvertently entered under the wrong category?
>That is, I'd like to revise some of these old entries' category such
>that my TurboTax software will group them in the proper way.
>
>I need a book...any suggestions?
>
>Thanks, Gordon

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look into these the next time I go
to B Dalton's Book Store. I still have a long way to go before I'm
really fully adapted to Quicken.

Meanwhile I did figure some things out that others may want to
explore.

First, open the transactions screen and make a note as to the
erroneous category you want to change, and decide what you want this
category changed to. If you are only dealing with one or a few
incorrect category entries you can individually change them to another
category, or you can create a new category. However, this won't clear
the old category from the list, and it may ended up being erroneously
selected again in the future if it's still there.

I had a very large number of miss-labeled categories, dating back to
1996, and changing each one separately would have taken days. A rapid,
semi-automatic change process is what I was trying to figure out how
to do.

Here's the way I ended up doing this;

Click the Tools > Category List, or by press Ctrl+Alt+C. This opens
the Category pane and you can scroll down to the category that needs
correcting.

Then, highlight the category you want to change and click "Merge" if
this is what you want done. This will open a pop-up that lets you
select which existing, valid category you want to merge the erroneous
category into. On this same pop-up window you can check mark the
option to have the erroneous category deleted after all entries with
this category have been merged (moved) to the new category.

This is exactly what I was trying to do. I had carelessly categorized
many entries into different categories when they all belonged in one
category. I now have all those miss-labeled categories merged into
their correct groups and all the unwanted categories removed from the
selection list so I won't likely ever put another entry into one of
these wrong categories.

Gordon