From: Bob Wang on
Quicken matches my manually entered transactions almost flawlessly.
I can't remember the last time a transaction was mismatched.
From: XS11E on
"Bob Wang" <BobWangBlog(a)Gmail.com> wrote:

> Quicken matches my manually entered transactions almost flawlessly.
> I can't remember the last time a transaction was mismatched.

I can, it was today. Only one today, several hundreds in the past.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: TomYoung on
On Aug 7, 3:28 pm, "Bob Wang" <BobWangB...(a)Gmail.com> wrote:
> Quicken matches my manually entered transactions almost flawlessly.
> I can't remember the last time a transaction was mismatched.

Looking more closely at the transaction I *thought* Quicken was
matching to - the 8/1/2009 transaction - vs. the transaction Quicken
actually was matching to - the 8/1/2010 transaction - I noticed that
the 8/1/2009 transaction had an "R" in the Clr column while the
8/1/2010 transaction had a "c" there. (I log onto my account manually
and change each check's status as it clears the bank.) Obviously the
Quicken program gives much more "weight" to a "c" in the Clr column
vs. an "R", even though it can actually result in a bigger miss when
it comes to declaring a Match. Probably a blank in the Clr column
carries even more weight. That would explain XS11E's comment about
several hundred mis-matches in the past; once you get past the initial
download with all its misses subsequent downloads would have a better
chance of getting properly matched as the program probably zeros in on
the blank and "c" transactions.

You would think the match algorithm would give highest weight to date,
payee and amount and maybe use the Clr column as some sort of tie
breaker (you issue two checks on the same day in the same amount to
one payee and one check clears before the other) but it doesn't appear
to work that way.

Tom Young
From: John Pollard on
TomYoung wrote:
> On Aug 7, 3:28 pm, "Bob Wang" <BobWangB...(a)Gmail.com> wrote:
>> Quicken matches my manually entered transactions almost flawlessly.
>> I can't remember the last time a transaction was mismatched.
>
> Looking more closely at the transaction I *thought* Quicken was
> matching to - the 8/1/2009 transaction - vs. the transaction Quicken
> actually was matching to - the 8/1/2010 transaction - I noticed that
> the 8/1/2009 transaction had an "R" in the Clr column while the
> 8/1/2010 transaction had a "c" there. (I log onto my account manually
> and change each check's status as it clears the bank.) Obviously the
> Quicken program gives much more "weight" to a "c" in the Clr column
> vs. an "R", even though it can actually result in a bigger miss when
> it comes to declaring a Match. Probably a blank in the Clr column
> carries even more weight. That would explain XS11E's comment about
> several hundred mis-matches in the past; once you get past the initial
> download with all its misses subsequent downloads would have a better
> chance of getting properly matched as the program probably zeros in on
> the blank and "c" transactions.
>
> You would think the match algorithm would give highest weight to date,
> payee and amount and maybe use the Clr column as some sort of tie
> breaker (you issue two checks on the same day in the same amount to
> one payee and one check clears before the other) but it doesn't appear
> to work that way.

[Talking about non-investment accounts.]

No it doesn't work that way. And the fact that you think the cleared
status should play a part in the process shows that you don't understand
what the "match" process is all about.

First: The match process is *only* about matching downloaded transactions
with transactions that have not been downloaded**. Cleared status is not
a valid indicator of whether a transaction has been downloaded. Cleared
status can be set without regard to whether a transaction has ever been
downloaded.

Second: the downloaded date is NOT a "transaction" date; it is a "cleared"
date. But the date of a manually entered transaction in your Quicken
register - especially for check transactions - is the transaction date ...
the date you wrote the check. Checks written two weeks ago can easily
clear before checks written 2 days ago. Comparing "cleared date" to
"transaction date" is an unreliable comparison. Your date comparison
theory fails miserably.

Third: in many cases, the user can prevent Quicken from matching to an
incorrect transaction, by "telling" Quicken that the existing transaction
has been downloaded before ... even though it may not have been. You can
do this by right-clicking the register transaction, then holding down CTRL
while left-clicking "Copy transaction(s)". Then putting a check mark in
"Downloaded Transaction" and selecting a "Posting Date". Doing that
should exclude that transaction from ever being a candidate for matching*.

Fourth: Actually, I believe the match process does give weight to the
"date". But, you don't seem to understand that downloaded transactions
can represent transactions whose Quicken "transaction date" was well in
the past (see #2). And there can have been, and often are, many other
transactions for the same payee, which also have not been downloaded
before ... the fact that they have newer "dates" doesn't insure that they
are the "right" transaction to match to (generally speaking; it's better
to have older transactions legitimately cleared, than newer transactions).

I do believe that Intuit might be able to tweak the matching process and
improve it *very* slightly (at some questionable cost) ... but it will
never be able to be what you seem to expect it to be.

Can you provide evidence that some other product has done a measurably
better job? Remembering that the product must produce results that
provide equal benefits to other customers besides yourself?

[** If a transaction marked as already downloaded, is treated as a match
candidate ... I suspect it is a file corruption problem. It has never
happened to me; and I've never read any proof that this happened to anyone
else ... where corruption could not be the problem.]

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: TomYoung on
On Aug 8, 6:28 am, "John Pollard" <8plus7...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> TomYoung wrote:

> > However, going back to my monthly Blue Shield payment; every month I
> > schedule that EFT to go out on the 1st of the month; the payment has
> > been exactly the same for all that time; if the 1st isn't a business
> > day the payment gets made on the next business day following.
> > Any
> > human being looking at the downloaded information would have very
> > confidently lined up the Blue Shield payments with the correct
> > register dates, resulting in 24 or 25 proposed "matches."  As it was,
> > Quicken gave me one "match" that didn't make a lick of sense and 23 or
> > 24 "new" transactions that it wanted me to match manually.
>
> A human being can look at another human being whose face they've seen
> before and easily recognize the face ... writing software to do facial
> recognition is not a trivial exercise.

C'mon John, you're going to hurt yourself straining that hard for an
analogy, trying to shoot down my argument. Writing facial recognition
software vs. writing software for check matching?

At the very least you'd have to admit that matching a payment that
cleared the bank in August 2008 with a payment issued in August 2010
is a little silly and isn't a fantastically difficult programming
problem to solve. Wouldn't you?

> I'm saying that if you make a claim - such as that it is economically
> feasible to provide a significantly better matching algorithm - you need
> to provide verifiable evidence of that claim.  Pointing to some other
> product that does a better job would be one way to demonstrate your point..

OK, I've got it now. Before I suggest Quicken can improve in any way
- in ANY way - I have to find a better product in the market, one
selling at the same price point, that's doing what I want Quicken to
do. A high bar, indeed.

Tom Young