From: HeyBub on
Robert wrote:
> Then I took it to the laundry room, set it on Bubblesort, and dumped
> my clothes in. It worked, but performance sucked. It ran in n^2. The
> book said I could expect n(log n). Since there were only two buckets,
> white and colored, would Bucketsort have run faster?

Buckets (and faucets) labeled "white" and "colored" are illegal.

From: Robert on
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 07:31:51 -0600, "HeyBub" <heybub(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Robert wrote:
>> Then I took it to the laundry room, set it on Bubblesort, and dumped
>> my clothes in. It worked, but performance sucked. It ran in n^2. The
>> book said I could expect n(log n). Since there were only two buckets,
>> white and colored, would Bucketsort have run faster?
>>

>Buckets (and faucets) labeled "white" and "colored" are illegal.

<slap on the forehead> How stupid of me. I should have said free and slave.
Under the Mariah Carey Rule, clothes with one drop of color belong in the slave bucket.

Indian clothes are a special case; they get the coolie wash cycle.
From: Alistair on
On 13 Jan, 03:12, Robert <n...(a)e.mail> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 07:31:51 -0600, "HeyBub" <hey...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Robert wrote:
> >> Then I took it to the laundry room, set it on Bubblesort, and dumped
> >> my clothes in. It worked, but performance sucked. It ran in n^2. The
> >> book said I could expect n(log n). Since there were only two buckets,
> >> white and colored, would Bucketsort have run faster?
>
> >Buckets (and faucets) labeled "white" and "colored" are illegal.
>
> <slap on the forehead> How stupid of me. I should have said free and slave.
> Under the Mariah Carey Rule, clothes with one drop of color belong in the slave bucket.
>
> Indian clothes are a special case; they get the coolie wash cycle.

Coollies were Chinese, not Indian.
From: Robert on
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 02:32:48 -0800 (PST), Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 13 Jan, 03:12, Robert <n...(a)e.mail> wrote:
>>
>> >Buckets (and faucets) labeled "white" and "colored" are illegal.
>>
>> <slap on the forehead> How stupid of me. I should have said free and slave.
>> Under the Mariah Carey Rule, clothes with one drop of color belong in the slave bucket.
>>
>> Indian clothes are a special case; they get the coolie wash cycle.
>
>Coollies were Chinese, not Indian.

"For example, by the 1850s in Trinidad, the annual Muharram or Hosay festival that came
over from India was being called "the Coolie Carnival." Through the Caribbean, as well as
in Sri Lanka, South Africa, and elsewhere, the word soon came to denote any person of
Indian origin or descent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolie
From: Alistair on
On 14 Jan, 14:11, Robert <n...(a)e.mail> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 02:32:48 -0800 (PST), Alistair <alist...(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> <slap on the forehead> How stupid of me. I should have said free and slave.
> >> Under the Mariah Carey Rule, clothes with one drop of color belong in the slave bucket.
>
> >> Indian clothes are a special case; they get the coolie wash cycle.
>
> >Coollies were Chinese, not Indian.
>
> "For example, by the 1850s in Trinidad, the annual Muharram or Hosay festival that came
> over from India was being called "the Coolie Carnival." Through the Caribbean, as well as
> in Sri Lanka, South Africa, and elsewhere, the word soon came to denote any person of
> Indian origin or descent."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolie- Hide quoted text -

It seems that you are right. My comment was based on living in
Singapore and seeing the local chines labour called coollies. I was
not aware that it was a generic term for Asian labour.