From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 00:35:44 GMT, "William M. Klein"
<wmklein(a)nospam.netcom.com> wrote:

>Huh???
> Compiler options have nothing to do with this. For IBM mainframes, the code
>from the programming guide will work the same (and use the "system sort program"
>to sort tables) regardless of compiler option.

OK, then I have no idea how to select a particular sort with the SORT
command for my CoBOL without using compiler options.
From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:45:52 -0600, Robert <no(a)e.mail> wrote:

>>I have programmed the Quicksort in CoBOL to sort some large tables.
>>It's fast, easy, and clear. That said, there should be no need for
>>it - I should be able to CoBOL to sort it, and CoBOL should be able to
>>tell the system to pick the best sort.
>>
>>But my shop's CoBOL can't do that.
>
>Doesn't your shop's CoBOL support object oriented?

No. But table sorts don't need OO, they just need to be implemented
in my compiler.
From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:05:22 -0700, "Frank Swarbrick"
<Frank.Swarbrick(a)efirstbank.com> wrote:

>What happens if you put a PROCESS or CBL card at the top of your source
>file? Will production implementation reject it because you are trying to
>use a non-standard compile option?

They get ignored in Endevor's migration process. (I've tried it)
From: William M. Klein on
If you actually WANT to tell DFSort or SyntcSort to use a specific type of SORT,
then you need to also have one of their special DD cards in your JCL. I could
look up some references if you actually want them, but I don't think that
(usually) when doing a table sort (on IBM mainframes) the way the same I gave
suggested, that this would usually be needed.

Let me know if you do want me to look it up.

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: Frank Swarbrick on
>>> On 1/14/2008 at 7:54 AM, in message
<9rtmo3lkbfsilidnpb3lklnol7ukh7227c(a)4ax.com>, Howard
Brazee<howard(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:05:22 -0700, "Frank Swarbrick"
> <Frank.Swarbrick(a)efirstbank.com> wrote:
>
>>What happens if you put a PROCESS or CBL card at the top of your source
>>file? Will production implementation reject it because you are trying to
>>use a non-standard compile option?
>
> They get ignored in Endevor's migration process. (I've tried it)

Sounds like the work of source code Nazis! :-)

Frank