From: Boris Mohar on
http://digg.com/d31DOXR

POS devices has at least two pertinent meanings.

--
Boris
From: Virus Guy on
Boris Mohar wrote:

> http://digg.com/d31DOXR
>
> POS devices has at least two pertinent meanings.

I put digg.com in my hosts file.
From: FromTheRafters on
"Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote in message
> Boris Mohar wrote:
>
>> http://digg.com/d31DOXR
>>
>> POS devices has at least two pertinent meanings.
>
> I put digg.com in my hosts file.

I put only localhost in mine...

The target was an article about the insecurity of POS systems - nothing
new really - in some cases the person behind you in line can print out a
duplicate reciept (yours) by just knowing the hotkey combination.

The *other* meaning of POS was not lost on me either. :o)

From: Virus Guy on
FromTheRafters wrote:

> The target was an article about the insecurity of POS systems -
> nothing new really - in some cases the person behind you in
> line can print out a duplicate reciept (yours) by just knowing
> the hotkey combination.

What - is that the worst they can do?

Why is it useful to have a duplicate of someone else's reciept?
From: FromTheRafters on
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> The target was an article about the insecurity of POS systems -
>> nothing new really - in some cases the person behind you in
>> line can print out a duplicate reciept (yours) by just knowing
>> the hotkey combination.
>
> What - is that the worst they can do?

No.

> Why is it useful to have a duplicate of someone else's reciept?

That depends on what information is on the receipt.

I ran across this whitepaper while researching after the company I work
for had their system compromised (even though they met the security
requirements in place at that time). 4.2 million credit and debit card
numbers may have been compromised, I just wanted to know more about how
the system was meant to work. This paper is about the vulnerabilities in
the system.

http://www.hackerfactor.com/papers/cc-pos-20.pdf