From: Rob Schneider on
Silene,

As Andrew mentioned, taking a course or at least reading a really good
book makes all the difference. Project is a sophisticated tool. Use it
as it's designed to be used makes all the difference and can surely help
with de-risking your project.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

On 16/05/10 06:13, Silene wrote:
> Thanks a lot Andrew,
> I will try all that, I think I am on the right path but defenetely I
> will have to have some outside help.
>
> Silene
>
> "Andrew Lavinsky" <(Catapult Systems)> wrote in message
>> Ok - so we are developing an effort-based schedule where hours are
>> tracked.
>>
>> In that case, your goal is to use MS Project to develop a model of
>> resource allocations. Typically, here's how you would do that:
>>
>> 1) Make sure your WBS includes PM activities. For the PM activities,
>> generally, create hammock tasks for the duration of the project and
>> assess how many hours the PM would probably allocate to the project -
>> then add those to the task. This will shave perhaps 10-20% (if not
>> more) of the PM time away from general availability. Consider adding
>> contours as appropriate (check that in the help screen).
>>
>> 2) Add recurring meetings to the PM deliverable. Generally, for
>> recurring weekly meetings, I would again create a hammock task, and
>> then calculate which resources attend, and then do a rough calculation
>> of let's say 3 hrs X No. of weeks in the entire project. This accounts
>> for the availability hit from my recurring meetings. For one off
>> meetings, add them to your schedule and consider putting a Start No
>> Earlier Than constraint on them as well as a Deadline. Generally, I
>> would set the duration of the meeting to one day (or one week), but
>> allocate 3 hours of each resource's time. From a scheduler
>> perspective, I don't care so much about what day the meeting happens,
>> as long as I capture the work load of preparing for and attending the
>> meeting. As long as the effort is accounted for in your model, the
>> specific meeting details may be irrelevant.
>>
>> 3) Add your project tasks. Estimate duration and effort separately -
>> or estimated effort first, then calculate how many resources you will
>> have dedicated to the task, and allow that to guide the duration
>> calculation. Ensure the tasks are all linked appropriately.
>>
>> Once you've done all of that, you'll have a good model of overall
>> resource allocation. You can then look to optimize the schedule by
>> reviewing such items as the Critical Path, Slack, and Resource
>> Overallocations. This is where the art of scheduling comes in as
>> you'll need to make critical decisions as to which constraint you wish
>> to optimize for.
>>
>> I'd strongly recommend you consider taking a Microsoft Project
>> training course in your area or online. It will probably help you out
>> significantly.
>>
>> - Andrew Lavinsky
>> Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
>>
>>> Thanks a lot for the answers but to continue understanding:
>>> 1) I don't schedule by the hour but I need to know the occupancy of my
>>> resources/day. Should I look in the resource usage view only and
>>> relocate
>>> them?

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2