From: Silene on
Is taking me quite a while to understand this subject, so I have more
questions.
1) I don't schedule the resources by the hour, how can I prevent
overallocated (referred in your answer 2)?
2) I have duration of PDR/CDR meetings of 3 hours. Also I have a resource
that only works 4 hours a day. Maybe this is why I have broken duration
(4.5, 5.6)!?
3) Can you explain more about duration/effort estimating methodology, I may
be working in a wrong way?

Thank you so much for all the answers,

Silene

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
1) I don't schedule the resources by the hour, how can I prevent
overallocated (referred in your answer 2)?

If you don't schedule them by the hour, then why does it matter if they're
overallocated? I would just ignore that indicator.

2) I have duration of PDR/CDR meetings of 3 hours. Also I have a resource
that only works 4 hours a day. Maybe this is why I have broken duration
(4.5, 5.6)!?

Possible. Why are you scheduling tasks of less than a day or so? The general
rule of thumb is not to schedule a task less than 1% of the overall duration,
or more than 10% of the overall duration of the project. What would be the
point of scheduling a meeting. Does that shift all subsequent tasks out
for three hours?

3) Can you explain more about duration/effort estimating methodology, I may
be working in a wrong way?

I think where the confusion may be is in understanding what kind of schedule
you're trying to build. Are you trying to estimate when things will happen,
or estimate how many man hours each task will take? Based on your answer
to that question, you'd go build a schedule in different ways and pay attention
to different metrics. For instance, if all you're looking at is a duration
based schedule, the question of overallocation is irrelevant. If you're
doing an effort-based schedule, the goal is to accurately map resource allocation,
and to a certain extent, have that drive the schedule. Which is your goal?

When you assign duration to a task, what two variables do you know?

1) Duration
2) Number of Resources
3) Man Hours Required by the Task

In IT, typically, I would say that the task is 80 man hours, and I have two
developers working on it - then using the tool to calculate the duration
of 1 week. In construction, I'd say that we have a team of 10 working on
a task for 2 weeks, then derive the man hours from those two variables.

My recommendation is to go enroll in a Microsoft Project (or general scheduling)
class in your vicinity. It will help you significantly.

From: Silene on
Thanks a lot for the answers but to continue understanding:
1) I don't schedule by the hour but I need to know the occupancy of my
resources/day. Should I look in the resource usage view only and relocate
them?

2)I schedule meetings to track the dates and considering the resources are
high tech people the cost of a 3 hour meeting is significant. Can you
comment on that, please?

3)I understand my goal is estimate when things will happen, an effort-based
schedule, so I should have a

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Ok - so we are developing an effort-based schedule where hours are tracked.

In that case, your goal is to use MS Project to develop a model of resource
allocations. Typically, here's how you would do that:

1) Make sure your WBS includes PM activities. For the PM activities, generally,
create hammock tasks for the duration of the project and assess how many
hours the PM would probably allocate to the project - then add those to the
task. This will shave perhaps 10-20% (if not more) of the PM time away from
general availability. Consider adding contours as appropriate (check that
in the help screen).

2) Add recurring meetings to the PM deliverable. Generally, for recurring
weekly meetings, I would again create a hammock task, and then calculate
which resources attend, and then do a rough calculation of let's say 3 hrs
X No. of weeks in the entire project. This accounts for the availability
hit from my recurring meetings. For one off meetings, add them to your schedule
and consider putting a Start No Earlier Than constraint on them as well as
a Deadline. Generally, I would set the duration of the meeting to one day
(or one week), but allocate 3 hours of each resource's time. From a scheduler
perspective, I don't care so much about what day the meeting happens, as
long as I capture the work load of preparing for and attending the meeting.
As long as the effort is accounted for in your model, the specific meeting
details may be irrelevant.

3) Add your project tasks. Estimate duration and effort separately - or
estimated effort first, then calculate how many resources you will have dedicated
to the task, and allow that to guide the duration calculation. Ensure the
tasks are all linked appropriately.

Once you've done all of that, you'll have a good model of overall resource
allocation. You can then look to optimize the schedule by reviewing such
items as the Critical Path, Slack, and Resource Overallocations. This is
where the art of scheduling comes in as you'll need to make critical decisions
as to which constraint you wish to optimize for.

I'd strongly recommend you consider taking a Microsoft Project training course
in your area or online. It will probably help you out significantly.

From: Silene on
Thanks a lot Andrew,
I will try all that, I think I am on the right path but defenetely I will
have to have some outside help.

> [...]
>>> the question of overallocation is irrelevant. If you're doing an
>>> effort-based schedule, the goal is to accurately map resource
>>> allocation, and to a certain extent, have that drive the schedule.
>>> Which is your goal?
>>>
>>> When you assign duration to a task, what two variables do you know?
>>>
>>> 1) Duration
>>> 2) Number of Resources
>>> 3) Man Hours Required by the Task
>>> In IT, typically, I would say that the task is 80 man hours, and I
>>> have two developers working on it - then using the tool to calculate
>>> the duration of 1 week. In construction, I'd say that we have a team
>>> of 10 working on a task for 2 weeks, then derive the man hours from
>>> those two variables.
>>>
>>> My recommendation is to go enroll in a Microsoft Project (or general
>>> scheduling) class in your vicinity. It will help you significantly.

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Gantt bars color VBA
Next: PWA error message