From: "Johan Bornman" <Johan on
I have Windows Server 2003 Std SP1 and I have Terminal Services installed. I
have been able to use RDP to connect to the server without a problem. Now,
everytime I try to hit the server through RDP (no matter what Domain account
I try to login with), I get the following error:

The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
The RPC server is unavailable.
I also get the following errors in the application and system logs:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1219
Date: 07/11/2005
Time: 14:54:23
User: N/A
Computer: Server
Logon rejected for Domain\User. Unable to obtain Terminal Server User
Configuration. Error: The RPC server is unavailable.

2nd Error:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: BROWSER
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8021
Date: 07/11/2005
Time: 14:49:52
User: N/A
Computer: Server
The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the
browser master \\Server on the network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{68D9CA4D-A535-4A36-8BD6-93CE1BB77A8A}.
Browser master: \\Server
Network: \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{68D9CA4D-A535-4A36-8BD6-93CE1BB77A8A}
This event may be caused by a temporary loss of network connectivity. If
this message appears again, verify that the server is still connected to the
network. The return code is in the Data text box

3rd Error:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: BROWSER
Event Category: None
Event ID: 8032
Date: 07/11/2005
Time: 14:50:52
User: N/A
Computer: Server
The browser service has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on
transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{68D9CA4D-A535-4A36-8BD6-93CE1BB77A8A}. The
backup browser is stopping.

I have already looked at the BIOS and re-applying SP1.

Thanks in advance.

Johan

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
There can be many causes for this error. Check out:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1219&eventno=2848
&source=Winlogon&phase=1

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net