From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:30:29 -0700 (PDT), Dookie
<abstract.dissonance(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a contact/photo rpm meter but it is acting funky and would like
>to create a simple meter for some testing.
>
>I've created the pic code and seem to have gotten it to work but need
>some sensor to debug it. The pic code basically counts the time
>between pulses. I do not use the ADC but rather the digital inputs and
>monitor when the pin goes high. The code does have built in dead time
>to prevent multiple countings.
>
>My idea was to stick a magnet on the device I want to measure the
>rpms(flywheel) and use a coil of wire as the sensor.
>
>The problem is that I'm getting much lower voltage than I expected.
>Faraday's law says the voltage on the coil is the number of turns
>times the change in flux. The change in flux depends on the rpm's but
>I'm simply using my hand to move the magnet across the coil. I get
>something like a sinusoid damped(or alternatively the derivative of
>the erf function). I have about 200-300 turns and the coil is getting
>unwieldy.
>
>This is fine but it most I get about 30mV(surely to be much larger
>with the flywheel at full speed). What I'm thinking of doing is simply
>using an opamp or bjt to act as a switch/comparator but the only
>problem I see is that the noise may add extra pulses.
>
>Is there a simple way I can increase the noise floor, say, by
>offseting the ground of the op amp and effectively setting making dc
>negative relative to the opamp. I'm thinking that I could add a
>resistor to the -V of the op amp. I only have a + supply.
>
>Or is there any better way that doesn't involve to much work? It
>doesn't have to be completely perfect as I am taking an average for
>the rpm's and can through out outliers. The main thing is to get the
>input to the pic to act digitally.
>
>I know there are a god awefull number of ways to do this but something
>simple with minimum and common parts is what I'm looking for.

If your E-mail address is valid I will E-mail you some suggestions.

I choose no longer to descend to the level of the bloviator scum who
inhabit/dominate this group.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

SED Has Crumbled to Below SEB Status
Populated Only by Bloviators and Pompous PhD's
From: bw on

"Dookie" <abstract.dissonance(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a contact/photo rpm meter but it is acting funky and would like
> to create a simple meter for some testing.
>
> I've created the pic code and seem to have gotten it to work but need
> some sensor to debug it. The pic code basically counts the time
> between pulses. I do not use the ADC but rather the digital inputs and
> monitor when the pin goes high. The code does have built in dead time
> to prevent multiple countings.
>
> My idea was to stick a magnet on the device I want to measure the
> rpms(flywheel) and use a coil of wire as the sensor.
>
> The problem is that I'm getting much lower voltage than I expected.
> Faraday's law says the voltage on the coil is the number of turns
> times the change in flux. The change in flux depends on the rpm's but
> I'm simply using my hand to move the magnet across the coil. I get
> something like a sinusoid damped(or alternatively the derivative of
> the erf function). I have about 200-300 turns and the coil is getting
> unwieldy.
>
> This is fine but it most I get about 30mV(surely to be much larger
> with the flywheel at full speed). What I'm thinking of doing is simply
> using an opamp or bjt to act as a switch/comparator but the only
> problem I see is that the noise may add extra pulses.
>
> Is there a simple way I can increase the noise floor, say, by
> offseting the ground of the op amp and effectively setting making dc
> negative relative to the opamp. I'm thinking that I could add a
> resistor to the -V of the op amp. I only have a + supply.
>
> Or is there any better way that doesn't involve to much work? It
> doesn't have to be completely perfect as I am taking an average for
> the rpm's and can through out outliers. The main thing is to get the
> input to the pic to act digitally.
>
> I know there are a god awefull number of ways to do this but something
> simple with minimum and common parts is what I'm looking for.

Put the coil closer to the magnet. A cheap tachometer chip has been around
forever for that application.
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM2917.html#Overview

From: markp on

> I choose no longer to descend to the level of the bloviator scum who
> inhabit/dominate this group.
>
> ...Jim Thompson
> --
> | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
> | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
> | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | |
> | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
> | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |
>
> SED Has Crumbled to Below SEB Status
> Populated Only by Bloviators and Pompous PhD's

You mean the type of person who slags people off in every 2nd post? Yeah,
you're right. They're pretty scum like.

From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:30:29 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Dookie
<abstract.dissonance(a)gmail.com> wrote in
<29566efc-1fcd-4f2f-b30a-d78cab3d7bc7(a)q35g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>:

>I have a contact/photo rpm meter but it is acting funky and would like
>to create a simple meter for some testing.
>
>I've created the pic code and seem to have gotten it to work but need
>some sensor to debug it. The pic code basically counts the time
>between pulses. I do not use the ADC but rather the digital inputs and
>monitor when the pin goes high. The code does have built in dead time
>to prevent multiple countings.
>
>My idea was to stick a magnet on the device I want to measure the
>rpms(flywheel) and use a coil of wire as the sensor.
>
>The problem is that I'm getting much lower voltage than I expected.
>Faraday's law says the voltage on the coil is the number of turns
>times the change in flux. The change in flux depends on the rpm's but
>I'm simply using my hand to move the magnet across the coil. I get
>something like a sinusoid damped(or alternatively the derivative of
>the erf function). I have about 200-300 turns and the coil is getting
>unwieldy.
>
>This is fine but it most I get about 30mV(surely to be much larger
>with the flywheel at full speed). What I'm thinking of doing is simply
>using an opamp or bjt to act as a switch/comparator but the only
>problem I see is that the noise may add extra pulses.
>
>Is there a simple way I can increase the noise floor, say, by
>offseting the ground of the op amp and effectively setting making dc
>negative relative to the opamp. I'm thinking that I could add a
>resistor to the -V of the op amp. I only have a + supply.
>
>Or is there any better way that doesn't involve to much work? It
>doesn't have to be completely perfect as I am taking an average for
>the rpm's and can through out outliers. The main thing is to get the
>input to the pic to act digitally.
>
>I know there are a god awefull number of ways to do this but something
>simple with minimum and common parts is what I'm looking for.

I still have some LED-photodiode packages that look one way,
put a reflective strip on the flywheel.
I dunno what these things are called in Engish really,
but I am sure you can still buy those :
---------------
| LED ---------> |
| | |

From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:08:10 +1000) it happened David Eather
<eather(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in <RuidnQS0OouWDNLRnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>:

>PIC? Shouldn't you use something like a 555 and an analogue meter?
NO
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: Bad Omen?