From: langwadt on
On 29 Jul., 19:22, John Larkin
<jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:42:42 -0700 (PDT), "langw...(a)fonz.dk"
>

> <langw...(a)fonz.dk> wrote:
> >On 28 Jul., 05:07, John Larkin
> ><jjlar...(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

> >> Your pickup is going to behave like a classic variable-reluctance
> >> speed sensor. The signal amplitude and frequency will go up together
> >> as the speed increases. The classic signal conditioner is an
> >> integrator of sorts...
>
> >>ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/VR_integrator.JPG
>
> >> which flattens out the speed:voltage curve.
>
> >> This can be made to work nicely over a 1000:1 speed range. I use that
> >> circuit in my VME tach modules.
>
> >> John
>
> >you might not like it but I've seen this works with no changes for the
> >crank sensor in pretty much all cars.
>
> >                         hct14
> >VR_in  >--10u---+--22K--+-|>o----> out
> >                |       1n
> >                |      _|_
> >               22K      +--10K--+
> >                |       |       |
> >                +---1K--+-o<|---+
> >                |        hct14  |
> >               47u             10n
> >               _|_             _|_
>
> That is a very cool way to set the threshold bias for the upper
> schmitt. And add a little time dithering, if you ever need it!
>
> The 22K+1n is only a 22us time constant. How narrow do the VR pulses
> get at high revs? I guess it's mostly a deglitcher and doesn't
> actually integrate much.
>
> John

the standard bosch crank sensor is 60 minus 2 teeth, so frequency in
Hz ~= rpm

-Lasse
From: David Eather on
On 29/07/2010 9:55 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:48:04 +1000) it happened David Eather
> <eather(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in<OoydnecLgt0rXM3RnZ2dnUVZ_gKdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>:
>
>> On 28/07/2010 9:09 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:

>>> NO
>>
>> But a 555 is the highest example of the chip designer's art.
>
> It sure is a clever chip, and you can make stable oscillators with it
> with a frequency that does not depend on the supply voltage much.
> However, in this case, if you generate a fast duration pulse to drive
> an analog meter, you still need a voltage stabiliser, as you need a constant amplitude.
>
> The PIC driving a LCD however, has an internal oscillator that has an accuracy of
> +-2% from 0�C to 85�C, and +-5% from -40�C to +125�C, this no longer needs the regulator,
> other then a simple zener perhaps to make 5 or 3.3 V, and no calibration needed.
> Better display possibilities, added calculation possibility for other things,
> like long time average, possibility of setting alarms, possibility of loop control.
> All in one PIC chip mind you.

But the cost of the time to program it outweighs the cost of a voltage
regulator.

I am not actually a big fan of 555's - I just like how some "features"
(like the switching generated power spikes) annoy some peoples.
From: David Eather on
On 30/07/2010 9:14 AM, David Eather wrote:
> On 29/07/2010 9:55 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:48:04 +1000) it happened David Eather
>> <eather(a)tpg.com.au> wrote
>> in<OoydnecLgt0rXM3RnZ2dnUVZ_gKdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>:

>>> But a 555 is the highest example of the chip designer's art.
>>
>> It sure is a clever chip, and you can make stable oscillators with it
>> with a frequency that does not depend on the supply voltage much.
>> However, in this case, if you generate a fast duration pulse to drive
>> an analog meter, you still need a voltage stabiliser, as you need a
>> constant amplitude.
>>
>> The PIC driving a LCD however, has an internal oscillator that has an
>> accuracy of
>> +-2% from 0�C to 85�C, and +-5% from -40�C to +125�C, this no longer
>> needs the regulator,
>> other then a simple zener perhaps to make 5 or 3.3 V, and no
>> calibration needed.
>> Better display possibilities, added calculation possibility for other
>> things,
>> like long time average, possibility of setting alarms, possibility of
>> loop control.
>> All in one PIC chip mind you.
>>

> But the cost of the time to program it outweighs the cost of a voltage
> regulator.
>
> I am not actually a big fan of 555's - I just like how some "features"
> (like the switching generated power spikes) annoy some peoples.

But seriously for a simple and temporary RPM meter without a chance to
act "funky" I would have put some form of one-shot and an analogue meter
as the ideal solution (fast, simple, cheap, little circuit/firmware
debugging). It's not without possible problems, but whatever they are
are very unlikely to be related to the problems in the original device.
From: John Larkin on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:27:40 +1000, David Eather <eather(a)tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>On 30/07/2010 9:14 AM, David Eather wrote:
>> On 29/07/2010 9:55 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>> On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:48:04 +1000) it happened David Eather
>>> <eather(a)tpg.com.au> wrote

>>> It sure is a clever chip, and you can make stable oscillators with it
>>> with a frequency that does not depend on the supply voltage much.
>>> However, in this case, if you generate a fast duration pulse to drive
>>> an analog meter, you still need a voltage stabiliser, as you need a
>>> constant amplitude.
>>>
>>> The PIC driving a LCD however, has an internal oscillator that has an
>>> accuracy of
>>> +-2% from 0�C to 85�C, and +-5% from -40�C to +125�C, this no longer
>>> needs the regulator,
>>> other then a simple zener perhaps to make 5 or 3.3 V, and no
>>> calibration needed.
>>> Better display possibilities, added calculation possibility for other
>>> things,
>>> like long time average, possibility of setting alarms, possibility of
>>> loop control.
>>> All in one PIC chip mind you.
>>>

>> But the cost of the time to program it outweighs the cost of a voltage
>> regulator.
>>
>> I am not actually a big fan of 555's - I just like how some "features"
>> (like the switching generated power spikes) annoy some peoples.
>
>But seriously for a simple and temporary RPM meter without a chance to
>act "funky" I would have put some form of one-shot and an analogue meter
>as the ideal solution (fast, simple, cheap, little circuit/firmware
>debugging). It's not without possible problems, but whatever they are
>are very unlikely to be related to the problems in the original device.

You could use my world-famous double-tach circuit...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/DoubleTach.jpg

John

From: David Eather on
On 30/07/2010 9:59 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:27:40 +1000, David Eather<eather(a)tpg.com.au>
> wrote:

>>> But the cost of the time to program it outweighs the cost of a voltage
>>> regulator.
>>>
>>> I am not actually a big fan of 555's - I just like how some "features"
>>> (like the switching generated power spikes) annoy some peoples.
>>
>> But seriously for a simple and temporary RPM meter without a chance to
>> act "funky" I would have put some form of one-shot and an analogue meter
>> as the ideal solution (fast, simple, cheap, little circuit/firmware
>> debugging). It's not without possible problems, but whatever they are
>> are very unlikely to be related to the problems in the original device.
>
> You could use my world-famous double-tach circuit...
>
> ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/DoubleTach.jpg
>
> John

Actually I can't. I have never been able to view or download anything
posted at ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Bad Omen?
Next: Posts with threaded holes