From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:24:48 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:08:54 -0500, "bw" <bwegher(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Dookie" <abstract.dissonance(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a contact/photo rpm meter but it is acting funky and would like
>>> to create a simple meter for some testing.
>>>
>>> I've created the pic code and seem to have gotten it to work but need
>>> some sensor to debug it. The pic code basically counts the time
>>> between pulses. I do not use the ADC but rather the digital inputs and
>>> monitor when the pin goes high. The code does have built in dead time
>>> to prevent multiple countings.
>>>
>>> My idea was to stick a magnet on the device I want to measure the
>>> rpms(flywheel) and use a coil of wire as the sensor.
>>>
>>> The problem is that I'm getting much lower voltage than I expected.
>>> Faraday's law says the voltage on the coil is the number of turns
>>> times the change in flux. The change in flux depends on the rpm's but
>>> I'm simply using my hand to move the magnet across the coil. I get
>>> something like a sinusoid damped(or alternatively the derivative of
>>> the erf function). I have about 200-300 turns and the coil is getting
>>> unwieldy.
>
>Aircore, or a coil on an E or I section ferrite, bunch of nails?
>Or a magnet, that's how variable reluctance (also guitar) pickups work.
>>>
>>> This is fine but it most I get about 30mV(surely to be much larger
>>> with the flywheel at full speed). What I'm thinking of doing is simply
>>> using an opamp or bjt to act as a switch/comparator but the only
>>> problem I see is that the noise may add extra pulses.
>
>I think opamps are easy, dual 8 pin, there's an 8pin amp + comp?
>>>
>>> Is there a simple way I can increase the noise floor, say, by
>>> offseting the ground of the op amp and effectively setting making dc
>>> negative relative to the opamp. I'm thinking that I could add a
>>> resistor to the -V of the op amp. I only have a + supply.
>
>John L's circuit looks okay for single supply, ac amp -> comparator,
>dual opamp, maybe CMOS, for 5V single supply to match PIC?

My circuit is used mostly with variable-reluctance pickups, basically
a rotating ferrous gear which passes near a spark-plug looking pickup,
which is a small rod magnet with a coil around it.

http://prototype.infolytica.com/en/coolstuff/ex0128/VR_Sensor_380.png

http://www.phoenixamerica.com/Images/VR%20Grouping%281z3o73%29.jpg

These give modestly distorted sine wave outputs whose amplitude and
frequency are both roughly proportional to speed, so benefit from an
integrator if used over a wide speed range. A real-world VR pickup
might have output from a few millivolts to 100 volts p-p over a real
speed range.

I use a similar circuit in my 8-channel VME tach and tach-overspeed
modules. I've sold maybe 400 of them so far, over 3200 channels, and
I've has surprisingly few calls from users having setup difficulties.
The integrator+comparator thing is very forgiving.

If the OP's pickup makes, say, one short pulse per revolution, the
comparator threshold might be offset to accomodate the more pulse-like
duty cycle. If his speed range is limited, just an amp and a
comparator may be all he needs. Or an opto-chopper, hall effect, reed
relay, or some other switch-type gadget.

A stepper motor makes a neat speed sensor, behaving just like a VR
pickup. Tons of signal. Rip one out of an old floppy drive or some
such. The signal conditioner might be just an R-C lowpass, diode
clamps maybe, and a comparator, the poor man's integrator.

John

From: John Larkin on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:36:00 +0100, "markp" <map.nospam(a)f2s.com>
wrote:

>> John "The Bloviator" Larkin's post is a slap-it-on-paper-quick without
>> thinking "solution". Use at your peril. He'll never label it with
>> values. If he did, his "solution" could be checked.
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>I rest my case.

He spends so much time obsessing about me, I wonder if he gets any
work done. This is very weird.

John

From: George Herold on
On Jul 27, 9:30 pm, Dookie <abstract.dissona...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a contact/photo rpm meter but it is acting funky and would like
> to create a simple meter for some testing.
>
> I've created the pic code and seem to have gotten it to work but need
> some sensor to debug it. The pic code basically counts the time
> between pulses. I do not use the ADC but rather the digital inputs and
> monitor when the pin goes high. The code does have built in dead time
> to prevent multiple countings.
>
> My idea was to stick a magnet on the device I want to measure the
> rpms(flywheel) and use a coil of wire as the sensor.
>
> The problem is that I'm getting much lower voltage than I expected.
> Faraday's law says the voltage on the coil is the number of turns
> times the change in flux. The change in flux depends on the rpm's but
> I'm simply using my hand to move the magnet across the coil. I get
> something like a sinusoid damped(or alternatively the derivative of
> the erf function). I have about 200-300 turns and the coil is getting
> unwieldy.
>
> This is fine but it most I get about 30mV(surely to be much larger
> with the flywheel at full speed). What I'm thinking of doing is simply
> using an opamp or bjt to act as a switch/comparator but the only
> problem I see is that the noise may add extra pulses.
>
> Is there a simple way I can increase the noise floor, say, by
> offseting the ground of the op amp and effectively setting making dc
> negative relative to the opamp. I'm thinking that I could add a
> resistor to the -V of the op amp. I only have a + supply.
>
> Or is there any better way that doesn't involve to much work? It
> doesn't have to be completely perfect as I am taking an average for
> the rpm's and can through out outliers. The main thing is to get the
> input to the pic to act digitally.
>
> I know there are a god awefull number of ways to do this but something
> simple with minimum and common parts is what I'm looking for.

I made a bicycle speedometer for myself many years ago. I used a
magnetic reed relay.. But I couldn't find it listed at digikey and I
suspect I have the wrong name. The relay closed when a magnet was
near. Very simple if you just want a digital pulse... Perhaps someone
will know the correct name of this sensor.

George H.
From: Jim Thompson on
wrote:

>> John "The Bloviator" Larkin's post is a slap-it-on-paper-quick without
>> thinking "solution". Use at your peril. He'll never label it with
>> values. If he did, his "solution" could be checked.
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>
>I rest my case.

Ask him for values that will work in your application.

I rest MY case :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

SED Has Crumbled to Below SEB Status
Populated Only by Bloviators and Pompous PhD's
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:09:17 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote in <i2p350$kid$1(a)news.albasani.net>:

>>something like a sinusoid damped(or alternatively the derivative of
>>the erf function). I have about 200-300 turns and the coil is getting
>>unwieldy.

Or you could find an old tape recorder playback head, and run it
into an integrator / level comparator as J.L. suggest.
Here I use one as AC current sensor:
ftp://panteltje.com/pub/play_back_head_current_sensor_img_1153.jpg
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Prev: Bad Omen?
Next: Posts with threaded holes