From: Arno on
Ed Light <nobody(a)nobody.there> wrote:
> On 5/14/2010 6:57 AM, David Brown wrote:
>>As far as I know, you can't install windows on
>> a windows software raid drive - you can only use such drives for
>> non-system partitions.
> I'm assuming that Win 7 Home Premium doesn't do software raid?

That is an interesting question. I somwhow doubt it, but it is not
even easy to find out (demonstrating again that Windows is a toy...).
If it is in a "feature cluster with disk encryption, it looks like
it will require enterprise or ultimate.

While I have Win7 ulimate (professional reasons :-/ ), it seems
I canno use dynamic disks either as they seem to have been
engineered to prevent using anything on them from another OS.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Rod Speed on
David Brown wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

> Well, I hope the OP got the information he was looking for here,
> because now that you've started revving up the rodbot autoresponder,
> I'm dropping the thread before you get /really/ silly.

You never ever could bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <ppg3v552e9m9mq9sk4sn0apsieumpav7ad(a)4ax.com>, me
<noemail(a)nothere.com> writes

>The particular system I am thinking of using RAID 1 on is a Win2003
>Server. While I know a bit about Win2003, I know very little about the
>RAID abilities.
>
>If I understand correctly from the above discussions, I can enable
>RAID 1 in WIn 2003 and it will do ALL the RAID work through software,
>without worrying about the "fakeraid" BIOS or clunky drivers?

Yes. It's also very portable, so you can take the drives to another
motherboard and it'll just work.

>Is it a good solution?

I think it's better than the cheap fakeRAID cards or built-in
controllers. It'll be more cpu-intensive than a single drive, but
that's hardly a problem nowadays.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny's thinking about giving Windows 7

From: Rod Speed on
me wrote:

> OP back again... interesting discussion

> The particular system I am thinking of using RAID 1 on is a Win2003
> Server. While I know a bit about Win2003, I know very little about the
> RAID abilities.

> If I understand correctly from the above discussions, I can enable
> RAID 1 in WIn 2003 and it will do ALL the RAID work through software,
> without worrying about the "fakeraid" BIOS or clunky drivers?

Yes. Win calls it mirroring. Its in the help.

> Is it a good solution?

Yes.