Prev: Basura
Next: ircbrute
From: Wolf K on
Greg Russell wrote:
> In news:2akap5tcm4u8avgb62nhjpu8lb4du2c4b4(a)4ax.com,
> Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> If I dump Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) how do I replace Windows Media
>> Center functionality (that my family truly enjoys) from within any
>> Linux distro? Hmm? Huh? Well..c'mon!! There isn't anything remotely
>> comparable in function, look and feel.
>
> Your childish rant is laughable ... http://ivtvdriver.org with a Hauppauge
> capture card, http://kinodv.org (for non-linear editing) and
> http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net (for DVD authoring) provide far more
> functionality and productive creativity than WMC. There are several others
> as well, but I don't use them and so can't comment
[snip further proofs that Linux can do all kinds of cool stuff.)

Your counter-rant misses the point: WMC turns the Windows computer into
a master TV/DVD/music/etc controller, a super remote in fact, that's
very seamless and easy to use. Add a WiFi base, and you can watch/listen
anywhere in the house. WMC is for the kind of user who doesn't care
about all those cool things you can do with your Linux box, and doesn't
want to learn. (S)he just wants to play movies, and watch them anywhere
in the house.

I do have Ubuntu on this box, too. I hardly ever use it. Why? Because
the apps I use most often have no counterpart in Ubuntu. Eg, Open Office
is a good substitute for MS Office, but I detest MS Office, and use it
only when someone sends me a .doc that WordPerfect can't handle. There's
nothing as easy to use as XnView for adding text, or PMView or Irfanview
for quick and simple image viewing and processing. The same is true for
the Mac, BTW, which is why I hardly ever use the Powerbook.

The fact is that most Windows apps are designed to do what most people
want to do most of the time. The Windows pro- and semi-pro apps are just
as good (and sometimes better) than the ones for other platforms. the
days when Windows apps were clunky and inadequate imitations of Mac apps
(for example) are gone.

It all comes down to software. The OS is irrelevant. And here's my rant:

We need a universal interface between applications and OS: a layer
between program and OS that's analogous to BIOS. Then any program will
run on any OS that's designed to use it, just as any OS designed to do
so will run on any hardware that uses BIOS. Even Apple has recognised
that a universal BIOS is a Good Thing. It's long past time for a
universal program-OS interface.

cheers,
wolf k.
From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 03:36:02 -0800, "Greg Russell" <grussell(a)invalid.com>
wrote:

>In news:vcmbp59s7r1l4hvirpdlf98agndjjklpt2(a)4ax.com,
>Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com> typed:
>
>> Gee thank you!! Sounds simple enough to me!
>
>I sincerely doubt it ... you seem the type who isn't happy unless you're
>unhappy.

FAX me a copy of your medical / psychiatric degree and state approved
license and THEN I might start to consider your diagnosis.

Greg tell me this:
Why are you taking personal shots at me anyway? Are you maybe
struggling with decades upon decades of repressed sexual urges? That'll
do it every time..make you bitter and prickish too. Is that it?

love ya - Charlie
From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:34:12 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" <x(a)y.Invalid>
wrote:

>Per Bad Boy Charlie:
>>If I dump Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) how do I replace Windows Media
>>Center functionality (that my family truly enjoys) from within any Linux
>>distro? Hmm? Huh? Well..c'mon!! There isn't anything remotely
>>comparable in function, look and feel.
>
>Actually there is: a freebie called MythTV.
>
>Some people use it with no problems.
>
>Having said that, I devoted at least 3 months of my life to
>trying to make it work reliably and, in the end, went over to a
>Windows-based product called SageTV - which worked right out of
>the box and as continued to work ever since.

Hi Pete,
You certainly must be mistaken...according to the Linux fan-boys
everything windows-based and everything that comes out of Redmond is (as
they say) "Crapware" from the MS evil empire. Moreover the flag waving
myopic Linux shills claim every function Windows users enjoy has an
equally effective or even better Linux counterpart. I found out
otherwise trying to get MediaPortal for Ubuntu to work while my family
begged and screamed for me to put Windows Media center back...which I
did.
From: Bad Boy Charlie on
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 09:46:17 -0500, Wolf K <wekirch(a)sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Greg Russell wrote:
>> In news:2akap5tcm4u8avgb62nhjpu8lb4du2c4b4(a)4ax.com,
>> Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com> typed:
>>
>>> If I dump Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) how do I replace Windows Media
>>> Center functionality (that my family truly enjoys) from within any
>>> Linux distro? Hmm? Huh? Well..c'mon!! There isn't anything remotely
>>> comparable in function, look and feel.
>>
>> Your childish rant is laughable ... http://ivtvdriver.org with a Hauppauge
>> capture card, http://kinodv.org (for non-linear editing) and
>> http://qdvdauthor.sourceforge.net (for DVD authoring) provide far more
>> functionality and productive creativity than WMC. There are several others
>> as well, but I don't use them and so can't comment
>[snip further proofs that Linux can do all kinds of cool stuff.)
>
>Your counter-rant misses the point: WMC turns the Windows computer into
>a master TV/DVD/music/etc controller, a super remote in fact, that's
>very seamless and easy to use. Add a WiFi base, and you can watch/listen
>anywhere in the house. WMC is for the kind of user who doesn't care
>about all those cool things you can do with your Linux box, and doesn't
>want to learn. (S)he just wants to play movies, and watch them anywhere
>in the house.
>
>I do have Ubuntu on this box, too. I hardly ever use it. Why? Because
>the apps I use most often have no counterpart in Ubuntu. Eg, Open Office
>is a good substitute for MS Office, but I detest MS Office, and use it
>only when someone sends me a .doc that WordPerfect can't handle. There's
>nothing as easy to use as XnView for adding text, or PMView or Irfanview
>for quick and simple image viewing and processing. The same is true for
>the Mac, BTW, which is why I hardly ever use the Powerbook.
>
>The fact is that most Windows apps are designed to do what most people
>want to do most of the time. The Windows pro- and semi-pro apps are just
>as good (and sometimes better) than the ones for other platforms. the
>days when Windows apps were clunky and inadequate imitations of Mac apps
>(for example) are gone.
>
>It all comes down to software. The OS is irrelevant. And here's my rant:
>
>We need a universal interface between applications and OS: a layer
>between program and OS that's analogous to BIOS. Then any program will
>run on any OS that's designed to use it, just as any OS designed to do
>so will run on any hardware that uses BIOS. Even Apple has recognised
>that a universal BIOS is a Good Thing. It's long past time for a
>universal program-OS interface.
>
>cheers,
>wolf k.
That hits them where it hurts..Linux lambs are offended that despite the
tech savvy prowess they pridefully claim folks like you and I could not
care less..as long as the user function we desire is there (I.e. "It
just works!") These same 'blinded by Linux' Neanderthals then become
hateful and hurl personal attacks (as we've seen the past days) against
those that have smoothly running Windows systems and get all their day
to day computing done effortlessly. Let's say that a Linux box would and
could EXACTLY duplicate 100% of a Windows-based system in every way.
Easy to use and reliable. What has one gained by dumping Windows and
going to Linux? One would be right where they were with Windows. A
smooth reliable system..EXCEPT with far fewer software choices. Kinda
takes the bite out of that Linux bulldog eh?

What good is FREE LINUX SOFTWARE if the app you need does not exist in
LINUX?

Gee...Maybe that has a bearing on why only 5% of the world-wide user
base bothers to run Linux...I have rambled on too long.....
From: Greg Russell on
In news:ln1dp5tmamrj8jupcbk3lbcptn8tinor99(a)4ax.com,
Bad Boy Charlie <Legba(a)hotmail.com> typed:

>> I sincerely doubt it ... you seem the type who isn't happy unless
>> you're unhappy.
>>
> FAX me a copy of your medical / psychiatric degree and state approved
> license and THEN I might start to consider your diagnosis.

It's rather obvious, the degree of your ignorance which extends to computer
OS's ... you don't even know the difference between an impression and a
diagnosis.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Basura