From: AlienBaby on
Hi,

I'm on the hunt for a good quality commercially licensed graphing /
plotting library and wondered if anyone here had any recomendations.
The work to be done is less scientific, more presentational, (I'm not
going to be dealing with heatmaps / vectors etc.., just the usual
bar / line / bubble / radar / iceberg type graphs) so a good level of
control over how the final output looks would be a key point.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions / pointers to something useful,

thanks,

Matt.
From: Jean-Michel Pichavant on
Pablo Recio Quijano wrote:
> Why must be commercial, when there is open and free alternatives? Like
> GNU Plot.

Gnuplot is ugly. I'm using it because I don't care if it's ugly but it
clearly lacks of look & feel for presentations, as requested by the OP.

You have
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

which is free and looks better than gnuplot. I'm not sure it's well
suited for presentation though.

JM
From: AlienBaby on
On Apr 6, 4:24 pm, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic...(a)sequans.com>
wrote:
> Pablo Recio Quijano wrote:
> > Why must be commercial, when there is open and free alternatives? Like
> > GNU Plot.
>
> Gnuplot is ugly. I'm using it because I don't care if it's ugly but it
> clearly lacks of look & feel for presentations, as requested by the OP.
>
> You havehttp://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
>
> which is free and looks better than gnuplot. I'm not sure it's well
> suited for presentation though.
>
> JM

Hi,

The requirement for a commercial license comes down to being
restricted to not using any open source code. If it's an open source
license it can't be used in our context.

Until now I have actually been using matplotlib, but now that has to
change.
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-04-06, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmichel(a)sequans.com> wrote:
> Pablo Recio Quijano wrote:
>> Why must be commercial, when there is open and free alternatives? Like
>> GNU Plot.
>
> Gnuplot is ugly. I'm using it because I don't care if it's ugly but it
> clearly lacks of look & feel for presentations, as requested by the OP.

In other words, Gnuplot presents information in a clear, obfuscated
manner. Definitely not the thing for presentations.

Nothing hides that unpleasant, inconvenient data better than adding a
lot of colors, drop-shadows, and of course the unneeded "3d" look
complete with a weird perspective.

> You have
> http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/
>
> which is free and looks better than gnuplot. I'm not sure it's well
> suited for presentation though.

Agreed. It's almost as bad at data-obfuscation as Gnuplot.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Used staples are good
at with SOY SAUCE!
From: Paul McGuire on
On Apr 6, 11:05 am, AlienBaby <matt.j.war...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The requirement for a commercial license comes down to being
> restricted to not using any open source code. If it's an open source
> license it can't be used in our context.

You may be misunderstanding this issue, I think you are equating "open
source" with "GPL", which is the open source license that requires
applications that use it to also open their source. There are many
other open source licenses, such as Berkeley, MIT, and LGPL, that are
more permissive in what they allow, up to and in some cases including
full inclusion within a closed-source commercial product. You might
also contact the supplier of the open source code you are interested,
and perhaps pay a modest fee to obtain a commercial license.

-- Paul