From: Theo Markettos on
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> So can anyone recommend another console-based mail client that might address
> these? For example, PINE handles 1 and 2 fine, but is a bit clunky and
> doesn't do 3 AFAIK. If people can suggest a client that does 3 I can always
> test for 1 and 2 :)

It looks like Gnus might handle point 3 (with split windows), though that
does involve dealing with Emacs <shudder>. From what I read it's mainly
intended to be an NNTP client, which makes me worry a bit. Anyone have any
experience using Gnus for mail?

Theo
From: Bruce Stephens on
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

[...]

> Anyone have any experience using Gnus for mail?

I use it for email (IMAP and file based). It works well, I think, but
perhaps I'm just used to it.
From: Richard Kettlewell on
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>> So can anyone recommend another console-based mail client that might address
>> these? For example, PINE handles 1 and 2 fine, but is a bit clunky and
>> doesn't do 3 AFAIK. If people can suggest a client that does 3 I can always
>> test for 1 and 2 :)
>
> It looks like Gnus might handle point 3 (with split windows), though that
> does involve dealing with Emacs <shudder>. From what I read it's mainly
> intended to be an NNTP client, which makes me worry a bit. Anyone have any
> experience using Gnus for mail?

I used Gnus for email at two jobs over the course of several years. It
seemed OK for that purpose. Cron junk could be expired automatically,
design discussions and whatnot would disappear if not marked to remain
visible but could be retrieved as necessary, filtering things into
psuedo-newsgroups was easy.

(These days I use Thunderbird everywhere.)

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
From: Glyn Millington on
Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> So can anyone recommend another console-based mail client that might address
>> these? For example, PINE handles 1 and 2 fine, but is a bit clunky and
>> doesn't do 3 AFAIK. If people can suggest a client that does 3 I can always
>> test for 1 and 2 :)
>
> It looks like Gnus might handle point 3 (with split windows), though that
> does involve dealing with Emacs <shudder>. From what I read it's mainly
> intended to be an NNTP client, which makes me worry a bit. Anyone have any
> experience using Gnus for mail?

Yes! It is very good, especially if you have a lot of mail to deal with,
and very well documented.

Theer is a useful tutorial here:-

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial#toc25

Good luck!

Glyn
From: Nix on
On 7 Jul 2010, Theo Markettos spake thusly:

> Theo Markettos <theom+news(a)chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> So can anyone recommend another console-based mail client that might address
>> these? For example, PINE handles 1 and 2 fine, but is a bit clunky and
>> doesn't do 3 AFAIK. If people can suggest a client that does 3 I can always
>> test for 1 and 2 :)
>
> It looks like Gnus might handle point 3 (with split windows), though that
> does involve dealing with Emacs <shudder>. From what I read it's mainly
> intended to be an NNTP client, which makes me worry a bit. Anyone have any
> experience using Gnus for mail?

It deals with all three of those cases, and makes your tea.

(Though right now I'm using nnml backends, I plan to migrate to nnimap
atop dovecot-on-maildir, and use mairix to search rather than, as now,
plain grep. But I'm moving slowly: this config works, though it is a bit
stone-age in some ways...)