From: Denny Strauser on
Leon(a)nospam.com wrote:
> We're starting to get really bothered by feedback, and need an eliminator...
>
> Any suggestions or recommendations?
>
> Small venues, Mackie 450s and such...
>
> Thanks!

Feedback eliminators work well for stationary mics if you have a chance
to ring out the mic.
For a mic that is handheld, feedback problem frequencies can change
drastically by moving the mic just a few inches. AND, feedback
eliminators don't find the problem frequencies until they feed-back.

I would not suggest trying to FIX feedback problems with a feedback
eliminator .... except with stationary mics. Speaker & mic placement, &
FOH & monitor EQ should be the main concern.

-Denny
From: Phildo on

<Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> On 13 Nov 2009 20:27:35 GMT,
> Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com
> (Richard Webb) wrote:
>
>>On Fri 2037-Nov-13 01:24, Leon(a)nospam.com writes:
>>> We're starting to get really bothered by feedback, and need an
>>> eliminator...
>>
>>What about 1/3 octave graphics or good parametrics? Any of
>>those in the rig?
>
> So far we get along with a 4 band EQ in the mixer (xone92), but we're
> going to
> get a proper graphic unit, 31 bands sounds good!

Get a Behringer DEQ2496. Read the manual carefully and experiment.

It has a feedback eliminator on it which can be useful but you need to set
it before the show and lock it down. Do not leave any filters in seek mode.

Phildo

From: Leon on
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:01:06 -0500, "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

><Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On 13 Nov 2009 20:27:35 GMT,
>> Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com
>> (Richard Webb) wrote:

>>>What about 1/3 octave graphics or good parametrics? Any of
>>>those in the rig?
>>
>> So far we get along with a 4 band EQ in the mixer (xone92), but we're
>> going to
>> get a proper graphic unit, 31 bands sounds good!
>>
>the xzone is a dj mixer

It's all we need at the moment... I have an old larger Seck board but it's
broken.

>what are you getting feedback in
>I NEVER give control of a 31 band to dj's
>the ability to damage stuff is just too great
>
>what is feeding back?

I didn't go to the last few gigs, and the DJs complained to me about feedback...
so far they haven't answered my questions in detail, so I'm in the dark like
you!

I'm hoping to have a meeting tomorrow to clear all this up. (I live 35 miles
away from the DJs.)

I'll remind them that a graphic EQ is for cutting, not boosting!

We aren't a big company like you, just a family business, I appreciate your
help!

From: Leon on
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:22:52 -0000, "Phildo" <Phil(a)phildo.net> wrote:

><Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On 13 Nov 2009 20:27:35 GMT,
>> Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com
>> (Richard Webb) wrote:

>>>What about 1/3 octave graphics or good parametrics? Any of
>>>those in the rig?
>>
>> So far we get along with a 4 band EQ in the mixer (xone92), but we're
>> going to
>> get a proper graphic unit, 31 bands sounds good!
>
>Get a Behringer DEQ2496. Read the manual carefully and experiment.
>
>It has a feedback eliminator on it which can be useful but you need to set
>it before the show and lock it down. Do not leave any filters in seek mode.
>
>Phildo

I was just looking at that unit! Will see if I can download some details...

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:01:06 -0500, "George's Pro Sound Co."
> <bmoas(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>><Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> On 13 Nov 2009 20:27:35 GMT,
>>> Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com

>>> So far we get along with a 4 band EQ in the mixer (xone92), but we're
>>> going to
>>> get a proper graphic unit, 31 bands sounds good!
>>>
>>the xzone is a dj mixer
>
> It's all we need at the moment... I have an old larger Seck board but it's
> broken.
>
>>what are you getting feedback in
>>I NEVER give control of a 31 band to dj's
>>the ability to damage stuff is just too great
>>
>>what is feeding back?
>
> I didn't go to the last few gigs, and the DJs complained to me about
> feedback...
> so far they haven't answered my questions in detail, so I'm in the dark
> like
> you!
>
> I'm hoping to have a meeting tomorrow to clear all this up. (I live 35
> miles
> away from the DJs.)
>
> I'll remind them that a graphic EQ is for cutting, not boosting!
>
> We aren't a big company like you, just a family business, I appreciate
> your
> help!

Ok with so little to go on I have to make assumptions
assumptions
DJ is using CDJ type players
Dj has a talk mic hook to the dj mixer
dj cups the mic in his hand

get the dj to hold the mic properly as I explained you destroy the
directionality of the mic when you cup it

it is unlikely the cdj's are feeding back
if he has turntables then bass can cause rumble in the needles, he will
need to establish better isolation of the turntables

but most likely it is the dj cupping the mic, added to trying to get the mic
over the already too loud music

resolution you need a system with real head room
one that would be probably abnout 4 x-8x what you are using
the system has to reach at least 105 dB "C" weighted continous on the dance
floor for iut to "feel like a dance club"

I would add 4 la 400 subs driven with about 600 watts per sub
the subs will give you the ball shaking you want for dance music without
needing the 450 to be overdriven

hire a real sound system for one night to show you what you really need to
do this
gizmos and toys like feedback eliminators and eq will not make a undersized
system capable
sorry if some of my assumptions are off base but it is based on experiance,
seeing as we know very little about what you are running into

George