From: Richard Webb on
On Fri 2037-Nov-13 01:24, Leon(a)nospam.com writes:
> We're starting to get really bothered by feedback, and need an
> eliminator...

What about 1/3 octave graphics or good parametrics? Any of
those in the rig?

> Any suggestions or recommendations?

IF you don't have some good equalizers for tuning the system get that going first, and if needed learn to use them.
Consider points brought up by others in this newsgroup as
well.

> Small venues, Mackie 450s and such...

What's driving them? Again look to good 31 band graphics or quality paras first.
I've been in this business for decades and never seen the
need for one of those boxes in a musical context. MEeting
rooms, etc. that are "set it and forget it" type
installations I could maybe see using one.

Regards,
Richard
From: McSteve on
"Sean Conolly" wrote:
> <Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote:
>> We're starting to get really bothered by feedback, and need an
>> eliminator...
>> Any suggestions or recommendations?
>>
> I use the Behringer DEQ2496 which has both functions, but I never use the
> feedback eliminator.

I have a 2496. For spoken word events where the speaker is
an unknown quantity, or there will be multiple speakers, it has
been very handy. The ability to 'stack' a 31 band graphic on top
of a parametric covers a lot of scenarios. I use the graphic to
smooth out general system response, and the graphic to notch
the spiky stuff. Feedback occurs in very narrow bands. Even
a 1/3 octave graphic cuts more than necessary.
So, if you have a limited budget and are considering buying
a feedback destroyer, don't. Invest in an EQ unit fit for the job.

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: McSteve on
Edit:
I wrote:
> I use the graphic to
> smooth out general system response, and the graphic to notch
> the spiky stuff.

That should be: " ..the parametric to notch out the spiky stuff".

--
Steve <snip> McQ

From: Leon on
On 13 Nov 2009 20:27:35 GMT, Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com
(Richard Webb) wrote:

>On Fri 2037-Nov-13 01:24, Leon(a)nospam.com writes:
>> We're starting to get really bothered by feedback, and need an
>> eliminator...
>
>What about 1/3 octave graphics or good parametrics? Any of
>those in the rig?

So far we get along with a 4 band EQ in the mixer (xone92), but we're going to
get a proper graphic unit, 31 bands sounds good!

From: George's Pro Sound Co. on

<Leon(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
> On 13 Nov 2009 20:27:35 GMT,
> Richard.Webb.my.foot(a)116-901.ftn.wpusa.dynip.com
> (Richard Webb) wrote:
>
>>On Fri 2037-Nov-13 01:24, Leon(a)nospam.com writes:
>>> We're starting to get really bothered by feedback, and need an
>>> eliminator...
>>
>>What about 1/3 octave graphics or good parametrics? Any of
>>those in the rig?
>
> So far we get along with a 4 band EQ in the mixer (xone92), but we're
> going to
> get a proper graphic unit, 31 bands sounds good!

the xzone is a dj mixer
what are you getting feedback in
I NEVER give control of a 31 band to dj's
the ability to damage stuff is just too great

what is feeding back?
george