From: KnightN on
I am dealing with the following situation and I was hoping someone could
assist me.

Someone set up folder in a document library to which the site owners do not
have permissions. We have logged in with several administrative accounts but
we do not even see the folder. We know it exists because the original users
who were set up to access it see it. However, they do not have permissions
to the folder such that we could use their accounts to give ourselvers the
appropriate rights.

My question is two fold.
1. Is there another way that, using an account which is an owner on the site
collection itself I can reset the permissions on the folder although I cannot
see it?

2. Is there a way to determine if there are other folders out there that we
cannot see due to incorrect application of permissions.

Thank You
From: callahan on
You may want to give an account full control to the web application that
contains the site collection in Policy for web application in Central
Administration. That should have the right to fully control anything in any
site collection in the web app.

I'll try recreating your issue tomorrow and see what else might work, but
meanwhile, give policy for web application a try.

-callahan

From: NZK on
Try opening the site in sharepoint designer.