From: ms.thenetworker on
Hopefully an easy question.

I have an older server that has been running our sharepoint services 2
install for a good long while. I want to move it to a new server. I did a
backup and restore with STSADM.

When I run Prescan on the new server, I get an error:
Error: Web is using a custom template (id = "6215") which can not be located
on the web front end.

Is there an easy way to locate this template on the original server? I think
I just need to copy it over. When I look at the templates in the site
template gallery, the only thing listed is the names of the templates.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you,
Mike Scott
From: "Lambert Qin [MSFT]" on
Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting.

From your post, I understand that:
1. You were upgrading the WSS 2.0 to WSS 3.0.
2. You got an error: Web is using a custom template (id = "<template id>")
which cannot be located on the web front end. While running Prescan tool

I assume you restored the farm in a new server and the error was occurred
on the test farm locate in the new server.

If these are any misunderstanding with the environment, please don't
hesitate to correct me.

There are some possible causes:
1. A Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 language pack
2. The application template is not installed.
3. The Templates used by SharePoint Portal Server 2003 can be incorrectly
identified during the pre-upgrade scan as custom templates.
4. The site was corrupted after restored.

Based on the possible causes, my suggestion is:
1. Make sure the test farm is the same with the original farm (service
pack, language pack, etc.).

2. Check the log, find out the template, and then install it in the test
farm.
The log should look like:
[Date] [Time] Scanning SPWeb: http://yoursite/
[Date] [Time] Error: Web is using a custom template (id = "<template id>")
which cannot be located on the web front end.

You should get the site which caused the issue in the log.
And you can check the site in the original server to find out the
corresponding site template.

3. Use the preupgradescanconfig.xml file when you perform the scan. Please
refer to the following command:

prescan.exe /c preupgradescanconfig.xml /all

If you do not have the preupgradescanconfig.xml, you can download at:
SharePoint Products and Technologies Utility: Upgrade Pre-scan Tool
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8a00b1f-6f45-42cd
-8e56-e62c20feb2f1&DisplayLang=en)

4. If the site was not accessible in the test farm, please use the
SharePoint Migration Tool to migrate sites, and run the Prescan tool again.
For more information about how to do that, see Migrating and Upgrading Web
Sites (Windows SharePoint Services 2.0)
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287935.aspx)

Moreover, I suggest you to look at the following articles to find out the
best way of upgrading.

Upgrading SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Customizations to SharePoint Server
2007
Part 1 of 2 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb954662.aspx)
Part 2 of 2 (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb954661.aspx)

If the suggestions cannot resolve your issue, please give me more
information about your farm configuration and the operations you have done.

Let me know the result if possible.

Sincerely,
Lambert Qin
Microsoft Online Support

From: ms.thenetworker on
Hi Lambert!

Thanks for the help, I'm getting a little closer.

I had found the template ID that is causing the problem, but I don't see how
to install it onto the destination site. When I look at the templates in the
site
template gallery, the only thing listed is the names of the templates. I
believe that the template in question was installed with Project Server,
which we no longer use, and is called "Project Workspace", but it isn't one
of the templates available for download in Site Management.

If there's an easy way to grab it and install it on the new server, then
that may just fix things.

The documentation had stated that the preupgradescanconfig.xml file is only
for sites based on sharepoint portal server, which my site is not based on,
so I didn't run that.

I went through the list of sites that are based on the missing template, and
used the Sharepoint migration tool to migrate those. It worked well for many
of them, and they no longer had errors with prescan, but several of them
wouldn't migrate. The migration tool comes back with:
"Progress: Server error: The operation failed because an unexpected error
occurred. (Result Code: 0x80070002)"

Any ideas on that one?

Thank you!

From: Michael Nemtsev [MVP] on
Hello ms.thenetworker,

Do you have other content migrated successfully?!
Do you really need that template to bemigrated or you can avoid it and create
the site with other templates?!

PS: you can find my migration tips usefull http://msmvps.com/blogs/laflour/archive/2008/09/18/sharepoint-2007-migration-tips.aspx

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev [Microsoft MVP] :: blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
:: http://twitter.com/laflour

m> Hi Lambert!
m>
m> Thanks for the help, I'm getting a little closer.
m>
m> I had found the template ID that is causing the problem, but I don't
m> see how to install it onto the destination site. When I look at the
m> templates in the site template gallery, the only thing listed is the
m> names of the templates. I believe that the template in question was
m> installed with Project Server, which we no longer use, and is called
m> "Project Workspace", but it isn't one of the templates available for
m> download in Site Management.
m>
m> If there's an easy way to grab it and install it on the new server,
m> then that may just fix things.
m>
m> The documentation had stated that the preupgradescanconfig.xml file
m> is only for sites based on sharepoint portal server, which my site is
m> not based on, so I didn't run that.
m>
m> I went through the list of sites that are based on the missing
m> template, and
m> used the Sharepoint migration tool to migrate those. It worked well
m> for many
m> of them, and they no longer had errors with prescan, but several of
m> them
m> wouldn't migrate. The migration tool comes back with:
m> "Progress: Server error: The operation failed because an unexpected
m> error
m> occurred. (Result Code: 0x80070002)"
m> Any ideas on that one?
m>
m> Thank you!
m>
m>

From: ms.thenetworker on
- Yes, I do have other content migrated successfully.
- I don't specifically need this template, so long as I get the data migrated.

Thanks Michael, I'll look at your site too.

The only reason I wanted to move the template is because prescan was giving
me errors about it. If there's a way to change the template that the site
uses, that would be really great, and I would be happy with that.