From: bb on
On 2009-11-02 17:05, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> bb a écrit :
>> There is a tool named ddrescue that can continue to read even if you get
>> block errors, and if you save it to a file, and once you have the file,
>> try to play it with mplayer to see if there is any hope at all to get the
>> mp3 files back.
>
> Will mplayer be happy to be fed with a filesystem image ?
> If not, you can try to recover files from the filesystem image with
> photorec, which is part of the testdisk package.

Mplayer is amazing, it can mostly play an iso or image of a complete DVD and
with some magic figure out how to play it.

What I mean is that _IF_ mplayer find the data and start to play it, it's also
possible to save the songs as files.

But in any case, a file image of the CD is needed for a recovery, since it can
fail and it's good to keep the original copy for a new try.

/bb
From: Doug Mitton on
Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:

>Responding to philo:
>
>> Mike Jones wrote:
>>> Responding to philo:

>>> Done that already.
>>>

>> there's a windows utility call iso buster that I've used with good
>> results. don't know if there is a Linux equiv
>

>Doubtless. It might be a combination of things called in one commandline
>though. I guess I'm going to end up learning it. ;\

I've used CDFS to rescue a friends photos in the past. It doesn't
appear to be supported recently but its located:
http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/

Good luck!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove ".invalid" from my domain.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Doug Mitton:

> Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>
>>Responding to philo:

>>> there's a windows utility call iso buster that I've used with good
>>> results. don't know if there is a Linux equiv
>>

>>Doubtless. It might be a combination of things called in one commandline
>>though. I guess I'm going to end up learning it. ;\
>
> I've used CDFS to rescue a friends photos in the past. It doesn't
> appear to be supported recently but its located:
> http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/
>
> Good luck!

Another useful looking tool that relies on something actually booting in
some way.

There does seem to be a few options to look at though. Cheers.

I'm thinking this disk is a write off though, including the data on it.

--
*===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
*===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
From: Doug Mitton on
Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:

>Responding to Doug Mitton:
>
>> Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>>
>>>Responding to philo:

>>>Doubtless. It might be a combination of things called in one commandline
>>>though. I guess I'm going to end up learning it. ;\
>>
>> I've used CDFS to rescue a friends photos in the past. It doesn't
>> appear to be supported recently but its located:
>> http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/
>>
>> Good luck!
>

>Another useful looking tool that relies on something actually booting in
>some way.
>
>There does seem to be a few options to look at though. Cheers.
>
>I'm thinking this disk is a write off though, including the data on it.

I don't think this requires the disk to "boot" (mount). But it may
not fit your needs. I use it to recover data from a muti-session data
disk that has had a newer session write "junk" over a previous "good"
session. I don't think it relies on the actual master file system.
But, Ive been incorrect before.
From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:46:19 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:

> I'm thinking this disk is a write off though, including the data on it.

What happened when you tried ddrescue?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Xubuntu 9.10