From: Pascal Hambourg on
Doug Mitton a �crit :

>>> http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/
>
> I use it to recover data from a muti-session data
> disk that has had a newer session write "junk" over a previous "good"
> session.

Isn't it overkill for this purpose ? You can select the session number
in the mount options when mounting a multisession CD-ROM the usual way.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to jellybean stonerfish:

> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:46:19 +0000, Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking this disk is a write off though, including the data on it.
>
> What happened when you tried ddrescue?

Not got there yet. Just finished all the "try it in this machine, and now
this drive..." stuff. Next up, the software options.

I did find another CDROM, same batch, with more data on it, that has the
same (I assume, by it's errors) problem. I'm seeing a pattern. something,
some day, was barfing up disks. The strange thing is, they must have
worked back then, as I always check every burn to make sure it "stuck".

There may have been a reason they were so cheap. >:(

--
*===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
*===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Pascal Hambourg:

>> I use it to recover data from a muti-session data disk that has had a
>> newer session write "junk" over a previous "good" session.
>
> Isn't it overkill for this purpose ? You can select the session number
> in the mount options when mounting a multisession CD-ROM the usual way.

I'll settle for a massacre if it gets this data back. ;\

From: Unruh on
Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> writes:

>Responding to Doug Mitton:

>> Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>>
>>>Responding to philo:

>>>Doubtless. It might be a combination of things called in one commandline
>>>though. I guess I'm going to end up learning it. ;\
>>
>> I've used CDFS to rescue a friends photos in the past. It doesn't
>> appear to be supported recently but its located:
>> http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/
>>
>> Good luck!

>Another useful looking tool that relies on something actually booting in
>some way.

I have no idea what you mean by "booting" It is not an operating system
disk. It is simply a disk full of files. Did you mean "mounting" rather
than "booting"?
What error messages do you get when you try to mount it? What did you
use to write the data to the disk? Is it and ISO 9660 filesystem?

Can it be read at all? You might try doing dd on it to get the data onto
a file on your system.

dd -if /dev/sdb -of dvd-contents.iso

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Unruh:

> Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> writes:
>
>>Responding to Doug Mitton:

>>> I've used CDFS to rescue a friends photos in the past. It doesn't
>>> appear to be supported recently but its located:
>>> http://users.elis.ugent.be/~mronsse/cdfs/
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>

>>Another useful looking tool that relies on something actually booting in
>>some way.
>
> I have no idea what you mean by "booting" It is not an operating system
> disk. It is simply a disk full of files. Did you mean "mounting" rather
> than "booting"?
> What error messages do you get when you try to mount it? What did you
> use to write the data to the disk? Is it and ISO 9660 filesystem?
>
> Can it be read at all? You might try doing dd on it to get the data onto
> a file on your system.
>
> dd -if /dev/sdb -of dvd-contents.iso

Oops! My bad. I did indeed mean "mounting". (Playing with multiple
projects can suffer terminology cross-over.)

So far I can't get anything to read the disk at all. No mounts work, and

#-> dd if=/dev/hda of=/tmp/disk.out
dd: reading `/dev/hda': Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 1.39585 s, 0.0 kB/s

....is about as far as I've got with this disk.

--
*===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
*===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
*===( http://www.slackware.com/