From: Mike Jones on
Responding to jellybean stonerfish:

>> Why do you keep trying to mount it?
>>
>> It's been said before:_Don't_ mount it. Use ddrescue.
>
> He says he hasn't tried ddrescue yet. Why, I don't know.

Trying to exhaust all other options before installing something.

That, and the disk doesn't seem to even want to be recognised.

It does seem to be a physical problem, happening at the reader itself,
before any software can get a grip on it, though ddrescue might indeed do
the trick.

--
*===( http://www.400monkeys.com/God/
*===( http://principiadiscordia.com/
From: Rikishi42 on
On 2009-11-06, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>> That's not experience shows. DVD's are much less reliable over time than
>> CD-ROM's. And CD-ROm's burned in a DVD burner are of less quality that
>> if they are in a CD burner. It helps somewhat to slow the burning, but
>> stil...

> I've been getting that idea from my experiences so far.
>
> Looks like I've got another lump of hardware to buy then.

Well, it seems that BlueRay would be more reliable. Something to do with a
thicker, or more sturdy, layer. And also an extra layer on the label side.

I'm holding it off until prices drop dramatically, and actual experiences
start showing up on Usenet.

--
Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked
something.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Rikishi42:

> On 2009-11-06, Mike Jones <Not(a)Arizona.Bay> wrote:
>>> That's not experience shows. DVD's are much less reliable over time
>>> than CD-ROM's. And CD-ROm's burned in a DVD burner are of less quality
>>> that if they are in a CD burner. It helps somewhat to slow the
>>> burning, but stil...
>
>> I've been getting that idea from my experiences so far.
>>
>> Looks like I've got another lump of hardware to buy then.
>
> Well, it seems that BlueRay would be more reliable. Something to do with
> a thicker, or more sturdy, layer. And also an extra layer on the label
> side.
>
> I'm holding it off until prices drop dramatically, and actual
> experiences start showing up on Usenet.

I'll be avoiding it like the plague. Remember VHS? Do we /really/ want to
hand defining standards over to Sony again?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.