From: "Gregg Hill" greggmhill at please do not spam me at yahoo dot on
Hello!

I recently finished a move from an old Windows 2000 domain with Win 2000
workstations to a new domain with a 2008 R2 server and all Win 7 Pro and
Ultimate workstations, everything being 64-bit. Things seem to work
normally,
but I frequently see a red X on the mapped drives in Windows Explorer on
both
the workstations and on the server. I have set the autodisconnect in the
registry to the FFFFFFFF maximum setting on the server and on the clients,
yet I
still get the red X after a while, sometimes less than the 15-minute default
for
autodisconnect.

At home, I have an SBS 2003 domain with Windows 7 clients, and they don't
get
the red X on mapped drives.

Is this a purely cosmetic thing, or are these drives really disconnecting?
Yes,
they do reconnect quickly when double-clicking one of the drives or using
Word/Excel to open a file. I am concerned that the drive really is being
disconnected, because they have an Access database, and it is my
understanding
that Access does not fare well with network disconnections.

I have run into these problems on older domains, and the autodisconnect
change
always worked to eliminate the red X problem, but not on this new 2008 R2
domain. I also see a KeepConn registry change, but I never needed that
before
and I am hesitant to try it now until I read up on it some more.

I have Googled until my fingers are bleeding, but the #1 "fix" is always the
autodisconnect setting.

So for those of you with more 2008 domain experience, is this behavior
normal?

Thank you for your time!

Gregg Hill