From: FJ on
Hi, I'm using Excel XP and I'm trying to add a RefEdit control to a userform
but I keep getting the error message "Element not found". I've checked under
Tools, Additional Controls and the box for "RefEdit.Ctrl" is checked. I'm
not sure what else to try.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Thanks in advance for
any information.
From: Joel on
The first time I put a REFEdit control on my PC Added added the Reference
(also under tools) by placing an X. It also told me the library for the
reference which is below. Make sure you have the dll and the X is placed in
the Reference "Ref Edit Cntl".

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\REFEDIT.DLL

From: FJ on
Hi, Joel, thanks for your response. I went to Tools, References, browsed for
the RefEdit.DLL and made sure it appeared with a check mark next to it, but I
still get the same "Element not found" error message when I try to put a
RefEdit control on a userform. Is there anything else I can try? Maybe
Excel or all of Office just needs to be reinstalled or something.

From: Joel on
In the reference the will be a path to the DLL location when yu click on REF
Edit. Make sure you have the DLL in the right location. This DLL location
should agree with the one in Additional controls.

I went looking for REF Edit on References on my home PC. It wan't ther. I
then added a Ref Edit to a user form and went back to the Reference and it
appeared. Not sure what that means.

My guess is that you may have installed more than one copy of Office on your
PC and somehow the newer and old version have pointers set to the wrong copy
of the office libraries. You have a library problem that may not get fixed
by simply re-installing office or excel. Because libraries are common
between many of microsoft products a C compiler or visual Basic installed on
your PC could be causing the problem. If you don't know DLL stand for
Dynamic Linked Library.

If other Controls like Listboxes or Comboboxes are woring then the problem
is associated with just the REFEDIT. The REFEDIT may need to be replaced.
You should be able to copy this DLL from another PC with the same version of
Excel you are using.

Using a Window explorer I went to the Office10 directory and right clicked
on the REFEDIT.DLL file and check the properties. With Excel 2003 I had
version 1.0.0.0 copyright 1993. It doesn't appear that this feature has
changed in a real long time.

From: FJ on
Hi, Joel, thank you very much for the information. The computer I'm having
the problem with is at work and I think it might have had several different
versions of Office installed on it, at least at some point, because there is
both an Office 10 folder and an Office 11 folder. So, you might be right
that the newer and older versions have pointers set to the wrong the office
libraries. Unfortunately, I probably won't be back at work for a few days so
I'll have to wait to check it.

If I find out what the problem is I will post back here with the information
in case anyone else encounters this problem.

Thanks again for the detailed information. :)

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Import XPS file into Excel
Next: localeSpecificCellName