From: JordanN on
I have developed a custom MDB file in Access 2003 that uses a few controls
like:

OWC11.DLL
ComCTL32.OCX
MSCOMCTL.OCX
MSCOMCT2.OCX
and so on.

My network is growing and more and more apps are getting installed and
computers are now ranging from Windows 2000 to Windows 7 64 Bit. This is
causing some issues with my MDB file because a lot of the references are not
in the same place on my computer as they are on other computers. For
Example

Some Windows XP computers have:

C:\PrFs\Comm Fls\MS shared\Web Components\11\OWC11.dll
C:\Windows\system32\MSCOMCTL.OCX
C:\Windows\system32\MSCOMCT2.OCX

While the Windows 7 64 bit has

C:\PrFs (x86)\Comm Fls\MS shared\Web Components\11\OWC11.dll
(***and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\OWC11.dll ***)
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCT2.OCX

So when I go to fire up my MDB File I get a lot the typical error messages
that you get when you have missing or incorrect references.

Now I could just force these controls into the System32 folder and change my
references to have everything point there but then I am sure I am going to
have more issue in the future because of controls in other folders getting
properly updated while these controls are not updated. What do I need to do
so my project uses the control that is in the proper location?

From: Mike Painter on
JordanN wrote:
> I have developed a custom MDB file in Access 2003 that uses a few
> controls like:
>
> OWC11.DLL
> ComCTL32.OCX
> MSCOMCTL.OCX
> MSCOMCT2.OCX
> and so on.

I don't know enough about how DLL's are registered but if you put a copy in
a folder under the location where the application is you could reference
them consistantly.
You might have to rename them to register them if that is needed.

From: JordanN on
That might work, but I would rather use the latest installed. For instance,
I use the OWC11.DLL and a couple of times they had to release security
patches for it. I would not like to leave open security holes.

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"JordanN" <none(a)here.com> wrote:

>I have developed a custom MDB file in Access 2003 that uses a few controls
>like:
>
>OWC11.DLL
>ComCTL32.OCX
>MSCOMCTL.OCX
>MSCOMCT2.OCX
>and so on.

<snip>

>Now I could just force these controls into the System32 folder and change my
>references to have everything point there but then I am sure I am going to
>have more issue in the future because of controls in other folders getting
>properly updated while these controls are not updated. What do I need to do
>so my project uses the control that is in the proper location?

How about removing those controls? Do you really need them? Why do
you need OWC? Note that as of Office 2007 it's been discontinued.

How do you get rid of troublesome ActiveX Controls/references?
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/referencetroubles.htm

Calendar control - See the Calendar Tips page at my website
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/calendars.htm

Also run the following code for a complete list and we'll give you
some suggestions.

Sub ViewReferenceDetails()

Dim ref As Reference

For Each ref In Access.References
Debug.Print ref.Name & " - " & ref.Major & "." & ref.Minor & "
- " & ref.FullPath
Next ref

End Sub

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: JordanN on
I need it because I we have a lot of information that needs to be extracted
into a spreadsheet view to sort and examined, however extracting and dumping
into Excel and toggling back and forth between the app can be tedious. It
is the best control for the purpose.

The problem I am facing is after installing MS KB947319, which is a OWC
patch, the MDB file will not work on a lot of the computers even though they
have the update installed.

Half the machines took the update fine, while the other half need to have
the MDB file opened and the OWC11 component re-referenced manually because
the scripts to automatically refresh the references don't see any problem
and don't re-reference properly. Once I manually re-reference the control
on a problem computer all of the other problem computers fall in line, but
then the ones that were working before now fail.