From: Ron Gibson on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 20:01:53 +0100, Ulick Magee wrote:

> Is hplip installed? It should recognise your printer automatically.

> According to here:
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/combined.html

> the 5440 is fully supported under hplip

I feel sort of dumb. Part of this was my fault, albeit the "stock" install
of OpenSuse, 11.1 (Gnome) did not print anything properly.

I did something (tried so many options, more on that below) that fixed the
initial problem where it would print 1-2 characters and spit out the page.
I had to turn off the printer.

A Google turned up others that had the same exact problem with an HP5440.

I followed their advice and got a perfect printout, but in black and white
only.

Here is where the "duh" factor comes into play.

After trying several things I booted winders and guess what? I was out of
color ink...duh. So now she prints perfectly but I'm left with some issues
as to what level of cups and hplip (which now combines hpijs into one
package) to stick to.

1) I used hplip from sourceforge and it's not an RPM package so it's not
tracked in my RPM database. Checkinstall failed to create a rpm package.
So the only way to uninstall it is to run make uninstall from the source
package.

2) For some reason there was no 5400 in the drop down list when
configuring Cups. I had to provide my own whereas...

3) The Suse RPM has the ppd file and HP 5400 series is a legit choice (the
hplip-hpijs package). But that is the one that prints all the blank pages
(except 1-2 characters)

4) There is also a Cups upgrade version at the official repository.

Even with using make uninstall with the Sourceforge hplip some artifacts
are left behind. I can track them down now but after a while they will be
hard to remember.

Also I'm a Slackware/KDE person so RPM's and Gnome both reveal my lack of
experience in this situation.

So i need to decide what option to commit to while I still have it all
fresh in mind.

From: Dennis Golden on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:47:49 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:

<snip>

> I feel sort of dumb. Part of this was my fault, albeit the "stock"
> install of OpenSuse, 11.1 (Gnome) did not print anything properly.
>
> I did something (tried so many options, more on that below) that fixed
> the initial problem where it would print 1-2 characters and spit out the
> page. I had to turn off the printer.
>
> A Google turned up others that had the same exact problem with an
> HP5440.
>
> I followed their advice and got a perfect printout, but in black and
> white only.
>
> Here is where the "duh" factor comes into play.
>
> After trying several things I booted winders and guess what? I was out
> of color ink...duh. So now she prints perfectly but I'm left with some
> issues as to what level of cups and hplip (which now combines hpijs into
> one package) to stick to.
>
> 1) I used hplip from sourceforge and it's not an RPM package so it's not
> tracked in my RPM database. Checkinstall failed to create a rpm package.
> So the only way to uninstall it is to run make uninstall from the source
> package.

I used one of the packages from the build service as the version supplied
with the distribution did not support my printer (OfficeJet 8500 Pro).

> 2) For some reason there was no 5400 in the drop down list when
> configuring Cups. I had to provide my own whereas...

You shouldn't have to do that. When you run hp-setup (you did run that
didn't you?), it sets up cups for you.

> 3) The Suse RPM has the ppd file and HP 5400 series is a legit choice
> (the hplip-hpijs package). But that is the one that prints all the blank
> pages (except 1-2 characters)

Did you run hp-setup?

> 4) There is also a Cups upgrade version at the official repository.
>
> Even with using make uninstall with the Sourceforge hplip some artifacts
> are left behind. I can track them down now but after a while they will
> be hard to remember.

<snip>

Dennis
--
Dennis Golden
Golden Consulting Services
From: Ron Gibson on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:16:01 +0000, Dennis Golden wrote:

> You shouldn't have to do that. When you run hp-setup (you did run that
> didn't you?), it sets up cups for you.

>> 3) The Suse RPM has the ppd file and HP 5400 series is a legit choice
>> (the hplip-hpijs package). But that is the one that prints all the
>> blank pages (except 1-2 characters)

> Did you run hp-setup?

I did one of the times (about 5 different combinations I tried). I wanted
to avoid that as I didn't think it would register itself in the RPM
database.

BTW, where does one get ppd files now anyway. Since they merged
linuxprinting with that other site I can't find the ppd locater applet.

The site layout is confusing. Maybe it's there, I'm not sure but I don't
feel good about not having the old linuxprinting.org site
From: Dennis Golden on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:35:28 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:16:01 +0000, Dennis Golden wrote:
>
>> You shouldn't have to do that. When you run hp-setup (you did run that
>> didn't you?), it sets up cups for you.
>
>>> 3) The Suse RPM has the ppd file and HP 5400 series is a legit choice
>>> (the hplip-hpijs package). But that is the one that prints all the
>>> blank pages (except 1-2 characters)
>
>> Did you run hp-setup?
>
> I did one of the times (about 5 different combinations I tried). I
> wanted to avoid that as I didn't think it would register itself in the
> RPM database.
>
> BTW, where does one get ppd files now anyway. Since they merged
> linuxprinting with that other site I can't find the ppd locater applet.
>
> The site layout is confusing. Maybe it's there, I'm not sure but I don't
> feel good about not having the old linuxprinting.org site

You only need hplip and hplip-hpijs. If the ones with your distribution
don't support your printer, go to openSUSE build service and use the 1-
click install which should get both packages.

Dennis
From: Ron Gibson on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:55:02 +0000, Dennis Golden wrote:

>> BTW, where does one get ppd files now anyway. Since they merged
>> linuxprinting with that other site I can't find the ppd locater applet.

> You only need hplip and hplip-hpijs. If the ones with your distribution
> don't support your printer, go to openSUSE build service and use the 1-
> click install which should get both packages.

Having a fast and easy way to check on a printers compatibility was the
old site.

For example I picked up this HP5440 on sale for $29 at Office Depot and
it's been one of the best and fastest home printers I've ever seen or
used. I was able to check compatibility at the store through that old site
and jumped on the deal.