From: Adrian Edward Richmond on

In message <Xns9CE7CBB5B47DClelouptheatrefreefr(a)193.252.117.183>, Le
Loup <lelouptheatre(a)x.fr> writes
>Le 20 d�c. 2009, "peter" <peter(a)softhome.net> a tapot� ce qui suit :
>
>> Hi
>> I would like to remove some unsed WM5 components to free up memory.
>> Programs I do not need are Internet Explorer, media player, acrobat
>> reader. Is it possible to remove and how?
>
>no it's impossible, unless you install an unofficial ROM

Hi,

does this apply to any programme you install such as Tom Tom navigator
or a game?

--
Adrian Edward Richmond
arichmond@'nospam'ensign.demon.co.uk
From: Le Loup on
Le 23 d�c. 2009, Adrian Edward Richmond <ARichmond(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> a
tapot� ce qui suit :

>>no it's impossible, unless you install an unofficial ROM
> does this apply to any programme you install such as Tom Tom navigator
> or a game?

If you don't know what a ROM is or how to use it, better forget it...

Cordialement,
Herv� LOTH
--
LE LOUP THEATRE (spectacles)
www.lelouptheatre.fr
From: Le Loup on
Le 23 d�c. 2009, Le Loup <lelouptheatre(a)x.fr> a tapot� ce qui suit :

> If you don't know what a ROM is or how to use it, better forget it...

You will have to flash the ROM memory of your pda, erase everything on it
(firmware, data, etc.) and copy the new ROM image (with the new OS version
and the softwares) in it...
You must know what you are doing ! You could even turn your pda into a
piece of junk.

Cordialement,
Herv� LOTH
From: Adrian Edward Richmond on
In message <Xns9CEB3EB4A4DClelouptheatrefreefr(a)193.252.117.183>, Le Loup
<lelouptheatre(a)x.fr> writes
>Le 23 d�c. 2009, Le Loup <lelouptheatre(a)x.fr> a tapot� ce qui suit :
>
>> If you don't know what a ROM is or how to use it, better forget it...
>
>You will have to flash the ROM memory of your pda, erase everything on it
>(firmware, data, etc.) and copy the new ROM image (with the new OS version
>and the softwares) in it...
>You must know what you are doing ! You could even turn your pda into a
>piece of junk.
>
>Cordialement,
>Herv� LOTH

Cher Herv�,

Thank you for your reply. I do know what a ROM is but as you so
correctly identify I am not a computer expert. I have not used my old
PDA for sometime an older HP4700 and was hoping to resurrect this with a
new battery and load an old back up to install various programmes I
liked. My plan was to then uninstall those programmes I no longer
required but it seems this will only be possible if erase everything and
start again. Pity as I cannot find the installation files for certain
programmes I want to keep.

Not only is this a problem but the back up battery has failed and it
seems that only opening up the PDA will allow that to be changed. What a
pain why didn't HP design the product with an easily replaceable back-up
battery? It's bound to fail.

Anyway thanks again for your reply.

Joyeux No�l

--
Adrian Edward Richmond
From: Todd Allcock on
At 23 Dec 2009 22:36:51 +0000 Adrian Edward Richmond wrote:

> >> Hi
> >> I would like to remove some unsed WM5 components to free up memory.
> >> Programs I do not need are Internet Explorer, media player, acrobat
> >> reader. Is it possible to remove and how?
> >
> >no it's impossible, unless you install an unofficial ROM
>
> Hi,
>
> does this apply to any programme you install such as Tom Tom
> navigator or a game?

No- thosecare istalled in user accessible memory and canbe removed with
the "Remove Programs" applet.

The OP was referring to components of th OS itself, like Internet
Explorer Mobile, which are in the device's firmware ("ROM") which is not
rewritable or eraseable without special software and a modicum of
expertise, neither of which is required by an end-user.