From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> It's actually dangerous to ask a Microsoft software "expert" a question
> about hardware problems.

I thought it was dangerous to ask MS MVPs anything... ;-)

(Oh my, did I say that out loud?)

(...to all MS MVPs out there, don't get offended, that's a joke with at
least a hint of truth to it...and yes, I realize that there are some truly
good ones out there.)

William

From: Searcher7 on
On Nov 2, 1:37 am, "William R. Walsh"
<newsgrou...(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > I don't understand why you got rid of the cross-post.
>
> In this case, it fails to make sense. There is a pre-operating system
> problem here, as the OP is having trouble even getting the system to pass
> through its POST.

I don't think so. Because on occasion when it does make it as far as
the desktop there is still the possibility that it will turn off. If I
can last more than five seconds at the desktop, then it'll stay there.

> I feel it is very likely that a fan is not running or that something is
> plugged up, causing overheating. The original poster should clean the
> system, verify that all fans are running, reseat all the expansion cards,
> remove and reinsert all the cables plugging into the system and try again..
>
> William

I don't think so. It couldn't be over-heating because this can happen
when I first turn the system on in the morning. The fan is working
fine and all cards are secure.

Nevertheless, it has not happened for the last couple of days, but I
fully expect the problem to return because it has in the past.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
From: Searcher7 on
On Nov 2, 7:41 am, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> William R. Walsh wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> >> I don't understand why you got rid of the cross-post.
>
> > In this case, it fails to make sense. There is a pre-operating system
> > problem here, as the OP is having trouble even getting the system to pass
> > through its POST.
>
> > I feel it is very likely that a fan is not running or that something is
> > plugged up, causing overheating. The original poster should clean the
> > system, verify that all fans are running, reseat all the expansion cards,
> > remove and reinsert all the cables plugging into the system and try again.
>
> > William
>
> It's actually dangerous to ask a Microsoft software "expert" a question
> about hardware problems.  The pained and vague explanations of all the
> Windows stop codes attest to that.  The best and most consistent
> explanation for any Windows stop code is: "Something went wrong.  We do
> not have a clue."  Rarely do the suggested solutions for stop code
> problems work... Ben Myers

I still haven't established whether this is a hardware or software
problem.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
From: Daave on
Searcher7 wrote:
> On Nov 2, 1:37 am, "William R. Walsh"
> <newsgrou...(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>> I don't understand why you got rid of the cross-post.
>>
>> In this case, it fails to make sense. There is a pre-operating system
>> problem here, as the OP is having trouble even getting the system to
>> pass through its POST.
>
> I don't think so. Because on occasion when it does make it as far as
> the desktop there is still the possibility that it will turn off. If I
> can last more than five seconds at the desktop, then it'll stay there.

But there are occasions where the reboot happens before Windows has a
chance to load? If this is the case, then I agree with those who say you
have a hardware issue.

>> I feel it is very likely that a fan is not running or that something
>> is plugged up, causing overheating. The original poster should clean
>> the system, verify that all fans are running, reseat all the
>> expansion cards, remove and reinsert all the cables plugging into
>> the system and try again.
>>
>> William
>
> I don't think so. It couldn't be over-heating because this can happen
> when I first turn the system on in the morning. The fan is working
> fine and all cards are secure.

Is the inside of your PC free of dust?

> Nevertheless, it has not happened for the last couple of days, but I
> fully expect the problem to return because it has in the past.

Intermittent problems also imply hardware problems. I would start here:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html

A fast way to rule out a hardware problem (if you're still not
convinced) is to boot off a live Linux CD (like Knoppix or Ubuntu). If
the problems persist, you have ruled out a problem with Windows.

But since you stated (IIRC) that sometimes the reboots occur before
Windows has a chance to load (that is, while you still see the Dell
splash screen), the above step isn't even necessary.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Antivirus Pro Virus
Next: power supply