From: JonEG on

Hi there,

This is my first post so please be gentle!

My family computer is an old Dell Inspiron and for a while its been
very slow, then it stopped booting alltogether. The problem turned out
to be the hard drive was degenerating so we bought a new one, installed
it and kept the old one as the F drive so that we could access all the
old files. My brother then reinstalled windows onto the machine.

So far so good. Until I tried to access my old files.

My old user account was password protected and Im assuming that this is
the problem as when I try to get into it I get

F:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan is not accessible

Access is denied

Any idea how I can get into this folder as there are lots of family
photos, important documents, etc, etc that I need!!!

Thanks a lot guys!!

Jonathan

--
JonEG
From: philo on
JonEG wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> This is my first post so please be gentle!
>
> My family computer is an old Dell Inspiron and for a while its been
> very slow, then it stopped booting alltogether. The problem turned out
> to be the hard drive was degenerating so we bought a new one, installed
> it and kept the old one as the F drive so that we could access all the
> old files. My brother then reinstalled windows onto the machine.
>
> So far so good. Until I tried to access my old files.
>
> My old user account was password protected and Im assuming that this is
> the problem as when I try to get into it I get
>
> F:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan is not accessible
>
> Access is denied
>
> Any idea how I can get into this folder as there are lots of family
> photos, important documents, etc, etc that I need!!!
>
> Thanks a lot guys!!
>
> Jonathan

not a password problem

you need to take ownership

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881
From: Andrew E. on
If a password exists on that account delete it & access the hd.Otherwise,
at pc start-up,tap the F8 key,select safe-mode,select to enter xp as the
"administrator",in xp,open the folder(s),either copy or try creating a short-
cut,move the shortcut to user account.

From: Bruce Chambers on
Andrew E. wrote:
> If a password exists on that account delete it & access the hd.Otherwise,
> at pc start-up,tap the F8 key,select safe-mode,select to enter xp as the
> "administrator",in xp,open the folder(s),either copy or try creating a short-
> cut,move the shortcut to user account.

Answer the wrong post, Andrew? I only ask because your reply is about
as far off base as it's possible to get.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Bruce Chambers on
JonEG wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> This is my first post so please be gentle!
>
> My family computer is an old Dell Inspiron and for a while its been
> very slow, then it stopped booting alltogether. The problem turned out
> to be the hard drive was degenerating so we bought a new one, installed
> it and kept the old one as the F drive so that we could access all the
> old files. My brother then reinstalled windows onto the machine.
>
> So far so good. Until I tried to access my old files.
>
> My old user account was password protected and Im assuming that this is
> the problem as when I try to get into it I get
>
> F:\Documents and Settings\Jonathan is not accessible
>
> Access is denied
>
> Any idea how I can get into this folder as there are lots of family
> photos, important documents, etc, etc that I need!!!
>
> Thanks a lot guys!!
>
> Jonathan

If you hadn't encrypted the data files (which could not have been
done with WinXP Home), you may be facing nothing more than a simple
permissions issue. Have you tried taking ownership of the old folders?

HOW TO Take Ownership of a File or Folder in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308421

Then simply use Windows Explorer to click and drag any files you
want from one drive to the other.