From: Sam11 on

My laptop (IBM T40), will not recognize the Iphone/Ipod cable.

It does recognize my usb flash drive, but not the cable, so it cant be
a loose connection. I only have 2 ports, neither work with the cable.

Used to work, stop working all of a sudden.

It says "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has
malfunctioned".

Have reinstalled USB drivers, didn't work.

Have already uninstalled all the USB Root Hubs in Device Manager &
restarted, didn't work. It did recognize the cable as my Iphone made the
sound that it is charging, but once it went into Windows, it didn't
recognize it anymore.

Installed new updates on windows, didn't work.

Thoughts?

--
Sam11
Sam11's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/171428.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: thanatoid on
Sam11 <Sam11.44dyzb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in

> My laptop (IBM T40), will not recognize the Iphone/Ipod
> cable.
>
> It does recognize my usb flash drive, but not the cable, so
> it cant be a loose connection. I only have 2 ports, neither
> work with the cable.
>
> Used to work, stop working all of a sudden.
>
> It says "One of the USB devices attached to this computer
> has malfunctioned".
>

> Have reinstalled USB drivers, didn't work.
>
> Have already uninstalled all the USB Root Hubs in Device
> Manager & restarted, didn't work. It did recognize the
> cable as my Iphone made the sound that it is charging, but
> once it went into Windows, it didn't recognize it anymore.
>
> Installed new updates on windows, didn't work.
>
> Thoughts?

In my decades of messing with all sorts of electrical and other
devices, I have learned one thing only:

It's almost always the cable. No matter WHAT the symptoms are,
and they can be absolutely outlandish, especially with complex
signals like video, just one bad or intermittent connection can
create a disaster. A dead cable just gives you what you are
experiencing.

And the amount of times I have bought a fancy new cable (of any
kind) that was DOA is not even funny.

So I always check the cable first, in case you have not gotten
my point by now ;-)

I know you say it works in one situation so it /can't/ be bad,
but cables are much more mysterious and complex than they look.
Try another cable. What have you got to lose?
From: Sam11 on

I should have mentioned:

I've tried 2 cables none work on my laptop, tried on my brothers
laptop, and they work fine.

So it's not the cable.

From: thanatoid on
Sam11 <Sam11.44enzb(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote in

> I should have mentioned:
>
> I've tried 2 cables none work on my laptop, tried on my
> brothers laptop, and they work fine.
>
> So it's not the cable.

Yes, you /should/ have mentioned it.

So sometimes it isn't the cable.

Oh well - "good luck" is the best I can do.

Actually - and keep in mind I own no USB devices and have never
used it - well, once - isn't there a way to use a hub or
something to avoid plugging the Apple cable directly into the
IBM (or is it a Lenovo?).

Both those 2 firms have a tradition of having tiny
incompatibilities with the inferior-to-them rest of the world
which sometimes causes weird problems.