From: Guy on
Not all motherboards have temperature sensors everywhere. If you have
your mobo model #(not chipset) you can find out which parts of the
chipsets are monitored.

Fans: Fans are no big deal to replace. Compare noise level in decibels
and the volume of air moved. Sleeve bearings are quieter than ball
bearings, but ball bearings last longer.

Power Supply: Unless you have a micro case, you do not need to worry
about finding an identical power supply; any PSU will just drop in the
case. If it is a micro PSU, make sure your replacement PSU is the same
size dimensions.

The wattage rating does not need to match; i.e., replacing your
250-watt PSU with a 300-watt or 500-wattt PSU will not harm your PC.
Just make sure the replacement has all the connectors you need for
your board, SATA drives, etc. New PSUs typically have every connection
you could possibly need because they are designed to be universal
replacements, but check first.

Refurbs with warranties should be ok; more expensive PSUs are
typically built better. I bought two cheap A-Power brand units two
years ago, and one of them is still running. The other died, and I
replaced it with a NOT cheap Antec that I expect to run for LONG time.

From: DLThompson on
I also just started getting an error message about fan failure, and
now that I think about it, I remember that the computer has been
awfully noisy as of late whenever I turn it on. I checked the back of
my computer, and neither fan is turning. I'm not sure which is which,
but do I need to replace both of them? Or will replacing one correct
the other? I'm assuming that one is the CPU fan, and the other is the
case fan. The JMC/DATECH 9232-12HBTL-2 fan is the less substantial of
the two. The other is locked inside a metal case at the top of my
tower, and the power supply is located there. I looked up the Skyline
Graphics website, but couldn't find a link to order the fan. Does
anyone have a specific url address and/or a product number? Any other
advice would also be very much appreciated. Thanks.

From: Guy on
Typically, case fans are available for under $10, and the plugs are
universally compatible. You should be able to DX that "92
mm" fan for any off-the-shelf 80 mm without an issue.

From: Guy on
> DLThompsonwrote:
I checked the back of my computer, and neither fan is turning.

Burned-out fans are pretty common.

If your power supply fan is out, then your power supply will probably
fail soon. (The power supply and its fan should be on top in the back
of the case.)

You describe having another fan in the back that is not turning
either; normally, big-box distributors do not put fans in the back
unless it is a premium PC, and in that case you probably need it. You
should open the case and check the fan's power connection to the
board. If the connection is solid, replace the burned-out fan.

These fans are available locally or online for anywhere from $3 to
$20. It takes less than 10 minutes to swap out the fan.

The power supply is easy to replace, but it takes longer since you
have to disconnect everything, install the new PSU, and then
re-connect everything. A PSU will cost $15 (CHEAP) to $150 (OVERKILL).

From: Guy on
> jandermdwrote:
my Dell Dimension 8200, when I boot up I get a message saying fan
failure. Is it my case or CPU fan?

That is a CPU failure -- no system should care if a case fan goes bad,
and an Intel CPU will not run without a functioning CPU fan. A CPU
tends to fry if not cooled.

This is an easy replacement, but be careful separating the fan from
the heatsink. If you are uncertain of how to do this, either take the
PC to your local geek or... make a learning experience out of it! It
is easier than it looks if you do the proper preparation. Coming to
this forum is a real good start.