From: keith Nuttle on
I have a HP 6130 laptop and a HP1140 desktop. Both are running Windows
XP SP3.

Last week McAfee completely destroyed my set up to the point that I had
no keyboard access to the computer, could not copy from one directory to
the other, ie BAD. This happened on both computers so since I keep
them synchronized to back up data all of my personal files and profiles
were locked in the dead computers.

I did a system restore from the restore drive on the computer, and it
brought everything to the condition as the programs and system came
from the factory. I did not do a reformat as I was trying to save my data.

After restoring everything including all programs, I find that I lost
about 25 gb on my harddrive. (Prior to the McAfee crash about 32 gb of
data and operating system, after recovery and reinstall all programs
about 57 gb of files on the disk.

Where did it go and how can I recover this lost space.

On reinstall it did not you the old windows users but recreated new
users, the old users do not show up, can the old users files be removed.
From: F8BOE on
keith Nuttle wrote:

> I have a HP 6130 laptop and a HP1140 desktop. Both are
running Windows
> XP SP3.
>
> Last week McAfee completely destroyed my set up to the point
that I had
> no keyboard access to the computer, could not copy from one
directory to
> the other, ie BAD. This happened on both computers so
since I keep
> them synchronized to back up data all of my personal files
and profiles
> were locked in the dead computers.
>
> I did a system restore from the restore drive on the
computer, and it
> brought everything to the condition as the programs and
system came
> from the factory. I did not do a reformat as I was trying to
save my data.

> After restoring everything including all programs, I find
that I lost
> about 25 gb on my harddrive. (Prior to the McAfee crash
about 32 gb of
> data and operating system, after recovery and reinstall all
programs
> about 57 gb of files on the disk.
>
> Where did it go and how can I recover this lost space.
>
> On reinstall it did not you the old windows users but
recreated new
> users, the old users do not show up, can the old users files
be removed.

Well, the job is done...

You should boot a Knoppix CD on your backup Machine and save
all the important datas on an external HDD, hoping it was not
MCee Affee that destroyed your partitions.

Perhaps could you retrieve your datas in any "lost and found"
subdirectory; created by the restoring process?

--

Ciao @+

< Sony VGN-FW54M powered by Mandriva-Linux 2010.0 >

Pages: 1
Prev: S-L-O-W White Progress bar on boot-up
Next: video