From: Ricky Hunt on
Sue,

OK. That's what I did the other day when you mentioned it. If you get any
more please let me know. I don't come here often (health again: some good,
some not-so-good...too long to tell right now) but just post it here. And
maybe our secret envoy: codename: "many"+"varyByDegree" (off course you'll
need the other half of the NOC List to find his "real" name...) will let me
know through "other" channels. I've got to go. I think I've been spotted.
Abort! Abort!

Seriously, thanks again for all your help Sue. I'm getting ready to do that
much needed scratch reload (probably with nLite and a few other twists I
might need help with) as soon as conditions allow and I'm sure I'll need
your services again.

Thanks,
Ricky

From: Ricky Hunt on
Another problem with the new Hotmail/Live: sometimes I'm on a message (or
have selected a bunch of messages for deleting, etc.) and when I'm done with
whatever the task is (especially Deleting) it goes to the next message (and
puts it in the Read/View Pane automatically so that sometimes I end up in a
message I didn't want to go in. In OE you could set it not to automatically
show a message just because it was selected. In Live you can choose whether
you want it to automatically go to the first message on sign-in but that's
it (as far as I can find). Does anyone know of a setting that will prevent
this going to a message without you expressly clicking on it?

Ricky

From: Sue Morton on
Not sure I understand the issue... Are you saying you are looking at a
list of messages such as in your inbox, you click on one and choose
delete, and now you see the next one in the reading pane? That's
normal behavior for the reading pane.

You can turn off the reading pane altogether (view -> layout) so you
must open a message outright into its own window, if you want to see it.
This is my setting.

However, if your issue is not so much that messages are inadvertently
displayed in the reading pane, but the message gets marked as "read"
when that happens, you can leave the reading pane enabled but set a
delay for how long a message has to remain visible before it will be
marked. (Tools -> Options -> Read (tab). ) The idea here is to choose
some amount of time that allows you to get the message out of the
reading pane view when you're not intending to read it, but still be
marked when you actually read the message. Start with something like 5
seconds and adjust up or down from there.