From: Here In Oregon on
Several months ago I was watching the 25th Anniversary of the Rock and Roll
Hall of Fame and commented that the younger generation better step up or
Rock and Roll as we know it will be dead.

I discovered this new high def music channel called Palladia. It is also on
On Demand with Comcast in the HD section and I found this new band and I
caught half of their show on the regular HD channel and recorded it a few
nights ago. If you have Comcast go to ON DEMAND HD>Music>Palladia>The
Killers for a 52 minute take of their new DVD which has much more footage
and stuff. I will probably buy the DVD to support bands like this.

Anyway, "The Killers" Live from Royal Albert Hall are this band from Las
Vegas and the Brits just love em and I know why. They are kind of this U2,
Oingo Boingo amalgamation with some disco bass thrown in at times. Their
stuff is fairly original sounding and refreshing for a change. The lead
vocalist looks just like Ben Affleck (much more than the new Spock) but is a
good front man and the whole band has good personas and chops. He is like a
Ricky Martin meets Cy Curnin meets David Byrne meets Bono and his voice when
he talks to the crowd vacillates and wobbles like an older Kathryn Hepburn
and is funny as heck.

Here is just a taste of the concert but much better in high def and sound
and I just randomly pulled this up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opwHArvPcEc

Also, Dave Mathews Band rocks. I saw him on this channel along with a ton
of other bands live at the Austin Music Festival or something in Austin,
Texas. I love how they can keep to a traditional song structure with
verses, choruses, and bridge but progressively smoke from within their
framework with all kinds of syncopation and top notch musicianship. Smoking
hot and hard working!!!

Speaking of bridges. Old news, but Dave Mathews has always been politically
correct with environmental causes and such but their tour bus pulled over on
a major bridge and the bus driver did a sewage dump into the water way down
below. They would of gotten away with it but unfortunately a large open
canopied boat was passing underneath and everyone had yuck spilled all over
them. They were fined heavily and Mathews donated a bunch of money to
something and apologized profusely.

I also caught a Steve Vai concert and he is one of the most versatile
guitarists alive today but I knew that. It is just too bad that he like a
lot of great guitarists cannot write one freaking song.

From: Bob Donald on

> Anyway, "The Killers" Live from Royal Albert Hall are this band from Las
> Vegas and the Brits just love em and I know why. They are kind of this
> U2, Oingo Boingo amalgamation with some disco bass thrown in at times.
> Their stuff is fairly original sounding and refreshing for a change. The
> lead vocalist looks just like Ben Affleck (much more than the new Spock)
> but is a good front man and the whole band has good personas and chops.
> He is like a Ricky Martin meets Cy Curnin meets David Byrne meets Bono and
> his voice when he talks to the crowd vacillates and wobbles like an older
> Kathryn Hepburn and is funny as heck.

Ok gramps LOL. Seriously, The Killers are a pretty awesome band, got into
them a few years ago, since the Hot Fuss album came out. I actually thought
they were a british band when I heard them, they just had that vibe. The
only thing that irritates me about them is there will be songs where one
lyric just doesnt make any sense to me, like it was just tossed in there to
fill space. But, the fact that they are selling millions of CD's and nobody
knows who the hell Bob Donald is, I'm guessing it's me and not them :)

> Also, Dave Mathews Band rocks. I saw him on this channel along with a ton
> of other bands live at the Austin Music Festival or something in Austin,
> Texas. I love how they can keep to a traditional song structure with
> verses, choruses, and bridge but progressively smoke from within their
> framework with all kinds of syncopation and top notch musicianship.
> Smoking hot and hard working!!!

Never been a fan of him, not my style. As for the sewage dumpage, I dont
know how much He actually had to do with that, and how much was the driver
taking liberties. Even though I'm not a fan of the music, the guy is quick
to help out and I really respect that.

> I also caught a Steve Vai concert and he is one of the most versatile
> guitarists alive today but I knew that. It is just too bad that he like a
> lot of great guitarists cannot write one freaking song.

Yeah, I always felt bad that he couldnt seem to catch a break. The guy
amazes me, extremely technical, at least judging by his interviews and
recordings I've heard. If you really want to hear some awesome guitar
playing in a different vein, check out Ric Emmett and Lily Afshar. Both of
them amaze me. I've been playing 30 years, and I dont even feel worthy to
carry their guitars at a gig. I met Ric after one of his intimate shows of
200, and spent about 15 minutes talking guitar with him <was a good night
and we were introduced at the end when most have left>. Nicest guy you ever
met, extremely humble, and you could tell that he truly loved talking
guitar, even with a hack like me. I remember that was the LAST thing that I
wanted to do after a show with someone I dont know. And no, I didnt stalk
him like a fanboy, we had a mutual acquaintance who introduced us and the
conversation just went in that direction. His show was amazing though, he
made you feel like it was just a bunch of people hanging out in someone's
living room and one friend just happened to play guitar EXTREMELY WELL.

From: Here In Oregon on

"Bob Donald" > The Killers are a pretty awesome band, got into
> them a few years ago, since the Hot Fuss album came out.

Never heard of them until a few nights ago.

>> Also, Dave Mathews Band rocks. >
> Never been a fan of him, not my style.

Me either and one of my drummers once went to see them and just went on and
on about Dave's drummer. However, up front and personal in Hi Def and a 50
inch screen changed my mind. <g>

> If you really want to hear some awesome guitar playing in a different
> vein, check out Ric Emmett and Lily Afshar.

I was turned on to Emmett with allied forces and Triumph back around 1980.
He also had a column in Guitar Player magazine for years that I read and
always liked him a lot. He is a good guitarist but I wouldn't put him into
Vai's territory or yard for that matter. Vai also was in a movie playing
guitar with that karate kid actor years ago. Crossroads or something.

I also have that album David Lee Roth made with Vai just out of Van Halen.

I have been playing guitar for thirty five years so I got you beat. I must
be better. LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

Here is one of the most under rated guitarist alive and can play all styles
of music. He was with the Dixie Dregs as well. For you Bob. Crank it up.
Steve Morse. You probably have never heard this song before but check out
the guitar tone. <vbg>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXPI30rPu4k&NR=1

From: Bob Donald on

> Never heard of them until a few nights ago.

Well, they are definitely worth keeping an eye on, some really talented
kids.

> I was turned on to Emmett with allied forces and Triumph back around 1980.
> He also had a column in Guitar Player magazine for years that I read and
> always liked him a lot. He is a good guitarist but I wouldn't put him
> into Vai's territory or yard for that matter. Vai also was in a movie
> playing guitar with that karate kid actor years ago. Crossroads or
> something.

He's actually better than Vai in my humble opinion, but I've heard all of
his stuff that he did after triumph too, have his whole collection. He can
shred like you wouldnt believe, and then switch over to classical, then
jazz, etc.... As it's been said, he's too talented for his own good. His
early solo albums were all over the place, which is great for us guitarists,
but didnt translate too well for mainstream radio. His later ones are alot
softer, although he's doing alot of the stuff on acoustic that takes Vai all
kinds of effects to pull off. Not slamming Vai because I feel that he's a
great player in his own right. I really became a fan of Vai's in the movie
Crossroads, especially the trade off scene, where he's playing against Ry
Cooder's slide which was simulated by Ralph Macchio. I read that the
playing of those two really inspired Macchio to pick up the guitar as a
hobby, he gained respect for it just having to fake it.

> I have been playing guitar for thirty five years so I got you beat. I
> must be better. LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

I'm sure you are. I have my moments every now and then, but not picking it
up for months at a time really takes it's toll on me. By the time I start
getting back into form, something comes up and they sit for another few
months and I forget again!

> Here is one of the most under rated guitarist alive and can play all
> styles of music. He was with the Dixie Dregs as well. For you Bob.
> Crank it up. Steve Morse. You probably have never heard this song before
> but check out the guitar tone. <vbg>

I LOVE Steve Morse! Ypsi is only 20 miles away, where he grew up, and they
still consider him their pride and joy. I've been a fan of his for a long
time. Yeah, he has awesome tone and the chops to match it! But my big
question, what the hell is the bass player doing using a pick with a ric
4001??? That's sacreligious to us Geddy Lee fans! Sorry, I kind of became
snobbish when I was filling in on bass for a cover band for a few months,
and had to learn Freewill and YYZ, and they wouldnt let me use a pick :) It
was the singers 4001, and those were his rules. Thanks for the link
though, that sounds awesome. Of course I've heard the song, I'm 45! But
sure havent heard that version.

From: Here In Oregon on

"Bob Donald" <bdonald(a)panova.com> wrote in message

>> Never heard of them until a few nights ago.
>
> Well, they are definitely worth keeping an eye on, some really talented
> kids.
>
>> I was turned on to Emmett with allied forces and Triumph back around
>> 1980. He also had a column in Guitar Player magazine for years that I
>> read and always liked him a lot. He is a good guitarist but I wouldn't
>> put him into Vai's territory or yard for that matter. Vai also was in a
>> movie playing guitar with that karate kid actor years ago. Crossroads or
>> something.
>
> He's actually better than Vai in my humble opinion, but I've heard all of
> his stuff that he did after triumph too, have his whole collection. He
> can shred like you wouldnt believe, and then switch over to classical,
> then jazz, etc.... As it's been said, he's too talented for his own good.
> His early solo albums were all over the place, which is great for us
> guitarists, but didnt translate too well for mainstream radio. His later
> ones are alot softer, although he's doing alot of the stuff on acoustic
> that takes Vai all kinds of effects to pull off. Not slamming Vai because
> I feel that he's a great player in his own right. I really became a fan of
> Vai's in the movie Crossroads, especially the trade off scene, where he's
> playing against Ry Cooder's slide which was simulated by Ralph Macchio. I
> read that the playing of those two really inspired Macchio to pick up the
> guitar as a hobby, he gained respect for it just having to fake it.
>

>> I have been playing guitar for thirty five years so I got you beat. I
>> must be better. LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!
>
> I'm sure you are. I have my moments every now and then, but not picking
> it up for months at a time really takes it's toll on me. By the time I
> start getting back into form, something comes up and they sit for another
> few months and I forget again!
>
>> Here is one of the most under rated guitarist alive and can play all
>> styles of music. He was with the Dixie Dregs as well. For you Bob.
>> Crank it up. Steve Morse. You probably have never heard this song before
>> but check out the guitar tone. <vbg>
>
> I LOVE Steve Morse! Ypsi is only 20 miles away, where he grew up, and
> they still consider him their pride and joy. I've been a fan of his for a
> long time. Yeah, he has awesome tone and the chops to match it! But my
> big question, what the hell is the bass player doing using a pick with a
> ric 4001??? That's sacreligious to us Geddy Lee fans! Sorry, I kind of
> became snobbish when I was filling in on bass for a cover band for a few
> months, and had to learn Freewill and YYZ, and they wouldnt let me use a
> pick :) It was the singers 4001, and those were his rules. Thanks for
> the link though, that sounds awesome. Of course I've heard the song, I'm
> 45! But sure havent heard that version.

You know Bob I was just revisiting Vai a few minutes ago in high def and
came back to make this post.
You have got to see this performance. Absolutely incredible! I will find
out what concert it is and report back tomorrow.
Maybe it is High Def that is getting me all excited. LOLOLOL!!!!!

I can play YYZ on bass . Covered a bunch of Rush live in the late 70's
early 80's on bass.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: MIDI input control