From: siljaline on
James Morrow wrote:
> Thank you for pointing this out. The potential of social networking
> sites for data mining is enormous. This morning I received from a young
> distant relative of mine an email inviting me to join Facebook. I
> have no intention of taking her up on this offer. I do email,
> newsgroups and even IRC. I'm just old fashion that way. But I do not
> use Twitter or Facebook. People who do have no real understanding of
> what risks they are taking. Once information is out of your hands and
> on the Internet you no longer have control of it. I've posted under my
> own name on Usenet for over a decade now with no problem at all, but
> Facebook is a quantum leap in lost privacy. I'm not going there.

You are most welcome, which brings to mind an old bookmark that says basically
everything about you and your Security >

"10 Immutable Laws of Security"
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722487.aspx>

Silj

- Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

From: Bast on

Cronos wrote:
> siljaline wrote:
>
>> No, the onus is on Facebook to take some responsibility for the data
>> of 250 Million plus users -
>>
>> <http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/facebook-privacy-backlash/>
>>
>> <http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/12/zuckerberg-facebook-privacy/>
>>
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/29/facebook_escaped_con_fan_page/>
>>
>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/16/noughties_review/>
>>
>> Silj
>>

> To a degree but the onus is also on the user to protect their info and
> not sign up to places like Facebook in the first place. People have lost
> their jobs and wife/husband over that kind of idiocy. I joined Facebook
> one day just to scope it out, all the info I gave was fake, as it is at
> any such web site. I haven't been back since either because I didn't
> even find it interesting.

LOL, you are 100% correct

From: Han on
"siljaline" <spam(a)uce.gov> wrote in

> James Morrow wrote:
>> Thank you for pointing this out. The potential of social networking
>> sites for data mining is enormous. This morning I received from a
> young
>> distant relative of mine an email inviting me to join Facebook. I
>> have no intention of taking her up on this offer. I do email,
>> newsgroups and even IRC. I'm just old fashion that way. But I do not
>> use Twitter or Facebook. People who do have no real understanding of
>> what risks they are taking. Once information is out of your hands and
>> on the Internet you no longer have control of it. I've posted under
>> my
>
>> own name on Usenet for over a decade now with no problem at all, but
>> Facebook is a quantum leap in lost privacy. I'm not going there.
>
> You are most welcome, which brings to mind an old bookmark that says
> basically everything about you and your Security >
>
> "10 Immutable Laws of Security"
> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722487.aspx>
>
> Silj

Link posted to my Faccebook page <grin>.

--
Best regards
Han
From: siljaline on
Han wrote:
>> "10 Immutable Laws of Security"
>> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722487.aspx>

> Link posted to my Faccebook page <grin>.

Thanks ! Can we be friends on Facebook <grin>

From: Han on
"siljaline" <spam(a)uce.gov> wrote in news:hi7oss$92a$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org:

> Han wrote:
>>> "10 Immutable Laws of Security"
>>> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc722487.aspx>
>
>> Link posted to my Faccebook page <grin>.
>
> Thanks ! Can we be friends on Facebook <grin>
>
> Silj

Sure by me, but you'll have to tell me how to contact you ...
<BIG grin>
--
Best regards
Han