From: russg on
On Dec 9, 8:23 pm, russg <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Dec 9, 7:37 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
> wrote:> From: "russg" <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net>
>
> > | I'm trying to help my grandson with his highly infected laptop.
> > | It ran extreemly slowly, so I started in safe mode and ran a quick
> > | scan Malwarebytes.
> > | Malwarebytes found 19 malwares, backdoor.bot, stolen.data, trojan
> > | fakealert,
> snip
> > Are you saying MBAM is detecting
>
> > c:\windows\system32\drivers\str.sys.
>
> > as a rootkit ?
>
> Yes, here's from the 1st run of MBAM log:
> Files Infected:
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\lowsec\local.ds (Stolen.data) -> No action taken.
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\lowsec\user.ds (Stolen.data) -> No action taken.
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\lowsec\user.ds.lll (Stolen.data) -> No action
> taken.
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\str.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> No action
> taken.
> C:\WINDOWS\System32\sdra64.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
> C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\sdra64.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> No action
> taken.
>
> I'm not sure where the log file is from after deletion.
>
> I'm running AVG Anti-Rookit Free right now.  It refused to run in safe
> mode
> and quick scan finds the C:\Win..\sys..32\drivers\str.sys and another
> hidden file in the same path called  ..    awwufouer.sys.
> I'm going to see if AVG Antirootkit works.

It looks like AVG AntiRootkit does the same thing as GMER,
it reaches a certain point then hangs, refuses to continue
its search. AVG ARK isn't exactly hung, the traveling
progress bar keeps rotating, but the path/file doesn't
change at 95% in 'quick' mode.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "russg" <russgilb(a)sbcglobal.net>

| On Dec 9, 7:37 pm, "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nosp...(a)Verizon.Net>
| wrote:
>> From: "russg" <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net>

>> | I'm trying to help my grandson with his highly infected laptop.
>> | It ran extreemly slowly, so I started in safe mode and ran a quick
>> | scan Malwarebytes.
>> | Malwarebytes found 19 malwares, backdoor.bot, stolen.data, trojan
>> | fakealert,
| snip
>> Are you saying MBAM is detecting

>> c:\windows\system32\drivers\str.sys.

>> as a rootkit ?

| Yes, here's from the 1st run of MBAM log:
| Files Infected:
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\lowsec\local.ds (Stolen.data) -> No action taken.
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\lowsec\user.ds (Stolen.data) -> No action taken.
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\lowsec\user.ds.lll (Stolen.data) -> No action
| taken.
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\str.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> No action
| taken.
| C:\WINDOWS\System32\sdra64.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> No action taken.
| C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\sdra64.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> No action
| taken.

| I'm not sure where the log file is from after deletion.

| I'm running AVG Anti-Rookit Free right now. It refused to run in safe
| mode
| and quick scan finds the C:\Win..\sys..32\drivers\str.sys and another
| hidden file in the same path called .. awwufouer.sys.
| I'm going to see if AVG Antirootkit works.

Classic Zbot infection.

Can you boot into the Recovery Console ?
If yes, delte the SYS file from the RC.

--
Dave

From: russg on
snip

> Classic Zbot infection.
>
> Can you boot into the Recovery Console ?
> If yes, delte the SYS file from the RC.
>
> --
> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

I removed the three files using AVG AntiRK, and rebooted, which AVG
ARK
congratulated me on removing the rootkit. I ran a complete scan
of 12/3/09 MBAM and it found an infection, I can't tell which
as it is still scanning.
I will try to remove the str.sys from the recovery consol after
MBAM finishes. I begin to suspect 'flaten and restore from
scratch' may be in order. If the rootkit involves the MBR,
will a format remove it?
From: FromTheRafters on
"russg" <russgilb(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

I don't know how to download AVG update and install it. I can't
update from the infected computer as it has no internet right now,
the old wireless adapter he busted and the built in one
doesn't work (Compaq laptop, running Vista).
I haven't used Multi-AV lately, the problem isn't
that I can't find infected files.

***

Oh, I see. Of course there *is* a difference between 'can't find
infected files' and 'infected files are hidden' when rootkits are
involved (no need to hide code within a file if the file itself can be
hidden from the scanners).

In many cases the rootkit must be gone before any file scanner can be
effective.

Good luck with the anti-rootkits you use.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "russg" <russgilb(a)sbcglobal.net>

| snip

>> Classic Zbot infection.

>> Can you boot into the Recovery Console ?
>> If yes, delte the SYS file from the RC.

>> --
>> Davehttp://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
>> Multi-AV -http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

| I removed the three files using AVG AntiRK, and rebooted, which AVG
| ARK
| congratulated me on removing the rootkit. I ran a complete scan
| of 12/3/09 MBAM and it found an infection, I can't tell which
| as it is still scanning.
| I will try to remove the str.sys from the recovery consol after
| MBAM finishes. I begin to suspect 'flaten and restore from
| scratch' may be in order. If the rootkit involves the MBR,
| will a format remove it?

What was "awwufouer.sys" identified as ?

See:
http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=03c8db77f600c5473cb90c650fc4bd4e

http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=39a01ca6d77a4a9f1d3380cb6a8bed0b

Both are relative to a Rustock which is a Rootkit and str.sys

A wipe and re-install *may* be in order if you feel comfortable with it.

--
Dave

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4