From: russg on
snip

> What was "awwufouer.sys" identified as ?
>
> See:http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=03c8db77f600c5473cb90c650...
>
> http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=39a01ca6d77a4a9f1d3380cb6...
>
> Both are relative to a Rustock which is a Rootkit and str.sys
>
> A wipe and re-install *may* be in order if you feel comfortable with it.

awwufouer.sys was identified and subsequently removed by the AVG
AntiRK.
It was identified as a hidden file in the C:\windows\system32\drivers
directory.
I don't have a log of that, but it had two entries, one may have been
as
a 'driver'.

I may be making progress. The full scan MBAM identifies no rootkits
now.
Identifies file rogue.installer and infected registry key
spyware.passwords.
MBAM says it removed them. Now I'll see if F11 can enter the recovery
consol, but won't try that just yet. I'll reboot a few times and re-
run
MBAM.
From: russg on
Talked to grandson. We believe he got infected 'mixing' and
downloading MP3s at www.jamglue.com.
He wants a clean computer, so, if we get his 4 gigs of music off the
laptop, he's willing to
recover it.
I believe we may have it cleaned, however. Several reboots and re-
scans and maybe.
From: The Central Scrutinizer on
Just do a wipe and reinstall and be done with it...

From: russg on
On Dec 9, 9:59 pm, "FromTheRafters" <erra...(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> "russg" <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> I don't know how to download AVG update and install it.  I can't
> update from the infected computer as it has no internet right now,
> the old wireless adapter he busted and the built in one
> doesn't work (Compaq laptop, running Vista).
> I haven't used Multi-AV lately, the problem isn't
> that I can't find infected files.
>
> ***
>
> Oh, I see. Of course there *is* a difference between 'can't find
> infected files' and 'infected files are hidden' when rootkits are
> involved (no need to hide code within a file if the file itself can be
> hidden from the scanners).
>
> In many cases the rootkit must be gone before any file scanner can be
> effective.
>
> Good luck with the anti-rootkits you use.

I believe it is done. The AVG Anti-Rootkit worked, along with MBAM in
getting rid of other stuff.
I've rebooted and re-scanned with MBAM, both full scan and quick scan,
safe and normal mode
scans, reports clean.
Thanks for the help, it was almost as quick as being on the phone.
From: FromTheRafters on
On Dec 9, 9:59 pm, "FromTheRafters" <erra...(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
> "russg" <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> I don't know how to download AVG update and install it. I can't
> update from the infected computer as it has no internet right now,
> the old wireless adapter he busted and the built in one
> doesn't work (Compaq laptop, running Vista).
> I haven't used Multi-AV lately, the problem isn't
> that I can't find infected files.
>
> ***
>
> Oh, I see. Of course there *is* a difference between 'can't find
> infected files' and 'infected files are hidden' when rootkits are
> involved (no need to hide code within a file if the file itself can be
> hidden from the scanners).
>
> In many cases the rootkit must be gone before any file scanner can be
> effective.
>
> Good luck with the anti-rootkits you use.

I believe it is done. The AVG Anti-Rootkit worked, along with MBAM in
getting rid of other stuff.
I've rebooted and re-scanned with MBAM, both full scan and quick scan,
safe and normal mode
scans, reports clean.
Thanks for the help, it was almost as quick as being on the phone.

***
Glad to hear you've gotten it cleaned. "Flatten and Rebuild" is not
always necessary, but everyone should (IMO) have it planned out so that
it is the easiest route - certainly having a recent known good disk
image handy makes recovery by this drastic method much less daunting.

A little planning ahead and this type of recovery becomes easier than a,
perhaps, cleaning with all of these good tools.

Something to consider anyways - and it works for harddrive malfunctions
too (let's see a 'cleaner' do that!).
***

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4