From: David H. Lipman on
From: "russg" <russgilb(a)sbcglobal.net>

| I believe it is done. The AVG Anti-Rootkit worked, along with MBAM in
| getting rid of other stuff.
| I've rebooted and re-scanned with MBAM, both full scan and quick scan,
| safe and normal mode
| scans, reports clean.
| Thanks for the help, it was almost as quick as being on the phone.

Fantastic Russ!

--
Dave

From: russg on
On Dec 10, 6:34 pm, "FromTheRafters" <erra...(a)nomail.afraid.org>
wrote:
> "russg" <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> On Dec 9, 9:59 pm, "FromTheRafters" <erra...(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>

> > "russg" <russg...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> > I don't know how to download AVG update and install it. I can't
> > update from the infected computer as it has no internet right now,
> > the old wireless adapter he busted and the built in one
> > doesn't work (Compaq laptop, running Vista).
> > I haven't used Multi-AV lately, the problem isn't
> > that I can't find infected files.
>
> > ***
>
> > Oh, I see. Of course there *is* a difference between 'can't find
> > infected files' and 'infected files are hidden' when rootkits are
> > involved (no need to hide code within a file if the file itself can be
> > hidden from the scanners).
>
> > In many cases the rootkit must be gone before any file scanner can be
> > effective.
>
> > Good luck with the anti-rootkits you use.
>
> I believe it is done.  The AVG Anti-Rootkit worked, along with MBAM in
> getting rid of other stuff.
> I've rebooted and re-scanned with MBAM, both full scan and quick scan,
> safe and normal mode
> scans, reports clean.
> Thanks for the help, it was almost as quick as being on the phone.
>
> ***
> Glad to hear you've gotten it cleaned. "Flatten and Rebuild" is not
> always necessary, but everyone should (IMO) have it planned out so that
> it is the easiest route - certainly having a recent known good disk
> image handy makes recovery by this drastic method much less daunting.
>
> A little planning ahead and this type of recovery becomes easier than a,
> perhaps, cleaning with all of these good tools.
>
> Something to consider anyways - and it works for harddrive malfunctions
> too (let's see a 'cleaner' do that!).
> ***

I used to use Ghost. That was before it trashed my computer, I had to
re-build from scratch. It happened during a backup. It completed and
then refused to re-boot, it just kept cycling thru the black pre-
windows
screen. I could boot with ubuntu and was able to back up some of
my most important stuff. Ubuntu was neat, but kept refusing to
copy more stuff to usb memory sticks.
I don't like Norton/Symantec much, but thought Ghost 2003 was
good. Not any more. I don't know of a good replacement.
I've used Ghost before and this didn't happen. I may buy
Nero backit up, which I've used without problems.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Is axel.dav a virus?
Next: khq virus