From: CLM on
Quick question:

Let's say I want to move data from a table on server A to a table on server
B and was going to use the standard Data Pump task or whatever it is called
and OLE DB Source and OLE DB Destination. (Everything is SS 2005.)

Let's say that I run the package from a Vis Studio session on my laptop,
i.e. a separate client machine. I know DTS for something analagous used to
route the data through the client machine on the way from server A to B.
Does SSIS do something similar? In other words, if you use your laptop to
run an SSIS package will it route the data through your laptop on its way
from A to B?
From: SetonSoftware on

From: SetonSoftware on
On Aug 4, 1:07 pm, CLM <C...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Quick question:
>
> Let's say I want to move data from a table on server A to a table on server
> B and was going to use the standard Data Pump task or whatever it is called
> and OLE DB Source and OLE DB Destination.  (Everything is SS 2005.)
>
> Let's say that I run the package from a Vis Studio session on my laptop,
> i.e. a separate client machine.  I know DTS for something analagous used to
> route the data through the client machine on the way from server A to B.
> Does SSIS do something similar?  In other words, if you use your laptop to
> run an SSIS package will it route the data through your laptop on its way
> from A to B?

You're using your laptop to _launch) the execution of the SSIS package
on Server A. It's not _running_ on your laptop, but rather on Server
A. The data should not go to your laptop at all. The only way it would
go to your laptop is if the SSIS package was on the laptop even though
it controlled data on Servers A and B.

Hope this helps

Carl
From: Payson on
On Aug 4, 2:20 pm, SetonSoftware <seton.softw...(a)verizon.net> wrote:

> You're using your laptop to _launch) the execution of the SSIS package
> on Server A. It's not _running_ on your laptop, but rather on Server
> A. The data should not go to your laptop at all. The only way it would
> go to your laptop is if the SSIS package was on the laptop even though
> it controlled data on Servers A and B.

I don't think that's so. If you interactively start an SSIS package
from the designer on a client machine, it executes on the client
machine. So did DTS. I've gotten caught too many times by the
corporate network police when they spotted the data flowing from the
source through the client to the target.

You can get around this in a couple of ways. The best is to deploy
the package to your server, then create a job to run it.

Or you can remote in to the server (using terminal services or
something similar) and run the job interactively from the remote
session.

Good luck

Payson

From: CLM on
Thx guys.

I think you're right cuzz I noticed it was running painfully slow from the
client even tho, I'm pretty sure anyway, I had all parameters set correctly
such as batch size, fast load, etc.