From: David J Taylor on
> In article <1171360883.970795.46720(a)v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
> "Bhogi" <bhogi(a)siol.com> wrote:
>
>> Here's a working link to the shot of the moon with the 1000.
>> http://www.ejarm.com/photo/images/moon1000big.jpg

So, apart from photos of the moon, what else would you use the lens for?

David

From: Rudy Benner on

"Ed Ruf >" <"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <egruf_usenet2(a)cox.net> wrote
in message news:hbr3t21psdt60ocgulapa29h5jg39bur2i(a)4ax.com...
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:15:17 -0500, in rec.photo.digital M-M
> <nospam.m-m(a)ny.more> wrote:
>
>>The manual simply states the lens is not compatible with teleconverters.
>>I believe it is the same with all Nikon zoom lenses- the 18-135 is the
>>same. The reason is the TC extends into the barrel of the lens and would
>>contact the lens elements. It is purposely made so the flanges will not
>>mate. If you really want a scan of the page, I can get it for you.
>
> OK, no thanks. I really was wondering if this newer higher $$ lens
> with VRII might be designed to allow the use of a TC. There are
> several Nikon zoom lenses which are compatible with the TCs, I own
> two of them. In fact many of my wildlife shots are taken with the 2x
> to get to 400mm on my "walking around lens" and are also handheld. So
> I thought this might be another avenue for you, but that didn't pan
> out.
> -
> Ed Ruf (Usenet2(a)EdwardG.Ruf.com)
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index.html

Is there a TC that would work with my 18-200mm VR?

From: Bhogi on

M-M je napisal:
> In article <1171360883.970795.46720(a)v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
> "Bhogi" <bhogi(a)siol.com> wrote:
>
> > Here's a working link to the shot of the moon with the 1000.
> > http://www.ejarm.com/photo/images/moon1000big.jpg
>

> Nice. Do you have any other examples of photos taken with this lens?
>
> --
> m-m

A closeup of a rose
http://www.ejarm.com/photo/images/rose.jpg
If you're lucky you won't get any doughnuts in the background, but
there can be dougnuts in the foreground too :)

The lens is just about impossible to focus precisely on a Canon 20d if
I don't take my time for each shot and it's too slow without a tripod.
Like I said too inconvenient for me.
I'm right in the process of selecting an affordable equatorial mount
with driving system for astrophotography. And that's pretty much all
I'll be doing with this lens in the future.

From: Bhogi on
M-M wrote:
> In article <1171391977.392502.286980(a)k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "Bhogi" <bhogi(a)siol.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm right in the process of selecting an affordable equatorial mount
> > with driving system for astrophotography. And that's pretty much all
> > I'll be doing with this lens in the future.
>
> That's what I would be using it for also, and as a telescope. Can you
> resolve Saturn's Cassini division with it?
>
> This year the rings are getting closer to edge-on and it won't be until
> 2011 that they will open again enough to see the Cassini division.

To tell you the truth I don't even know how to find saturn yet.
I wasn't going to share this "beauty", but just to show you what I was
able to photograph with minimum knowledge and preparation, here's
Jupiter on may 19th 2005 at 9:30pm ISO1600 1/500s
http://www.ejarm.com/photo/images/jupiter.jpg
If you know how, you can check if Jupiter was near or far from earth,
but my guess is (by the time of the photo) it was pretty far away, so
it should apear larger in perfect conditions.

When I used the lens as a telescope I could make out bands on Jupiter,
that are just barely visible in the photo. I also tryed with 2x TC but
200x magnification was just too much for my tripod. So there I ended
planetary observations.
No matter how useful the viewing attachment for the lens is, I think
it's necessary to invest in a diagonal, it's very difficult to observe
verticaly.

Here's a link on astro usage of the rubinar
http://astro.geekjoy.com/scopes/ottos_astro-rubinar_106_review.html

From: Bhogi on
M-M wrote:
> In article <1171401685.987553.178890(a)m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> "Bhogi" <bhogi(a)siol.com> wrote:
>
> > I wasn't going to share this "beauty", but just to show you what I was
> > able to photograph with minimum knowledge and preparation, here's
> > Jupiter on may 19th 2005 at 9:30pm ISO1600 1/500s
> > http://www.ejarm.com/photo/images/jupiter.jpg
> > If you know how, you can check if Jupiter was near or far from earth,
> > but my guess is (by the time of the photo) it was pretty far away, so
> > it should apear larger in perfect conditions.
> >
> > When I used the lens as a telescope I could make out bands on Jupiter,
> > that are just barely visible in the photo. I also tryed with 2x TC but
> > 200x magnification was just too much for my tripod. So there I ended
> > planetary observations.
> > No matter how useful the viewing attachment for the lens is, I think
> > it's necessary to invest in a diagonal, it's very difficult to observe
> > verticaly.
> >
> > Here's a link on astro usage of the rubinar
> > http://astro.geekjoy.com/scopes/ottos_astro-rubinar_106_review.html
>

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Saturn is at it's best now. Draw a line across Orion's shoulders and
> it's the bright yellowish "star" about 5 widths of Orion going east.
>
> You know it's not a star because it does not twinkle. It's also
> brighter. It rises just after sunset in the east and by 9 pm it's up
> pretty high.
>
> If you can check it out, let me know if you can see the Cassini division.

Thanks for pointing me to it. I found it with no problem.
Unfortunately the weather here is a bit cloudy and turbulent. I had to
work quickly and this is one of the shots at iso1600 1/50s
http://www.ejarm.com/photo/images/saturn.jpg
I'm sure with more time, better visibility and sturdy tripod I would
get a much better photo.

When observed visualy it was a LOT clearer and much brighter than I
expected, with clearly shaped gaps between the planet and the ring,
but as for cassini division I can't say I saw it. The tripod I'm using
is beyond critique and the image shakes just by observing, so I realy
couldn't concentrate on faint details. It's pretty frustrating. A
sturdy tripod and equatorial mount is a must.

All in all I consider it a success :)