From: Michael Raithel on
Dear SAS-L-ers,

Abc Unha posted the following:

> Hi,
> We have SAS EBI Server license. Many or our SAS Programmer wants to
> use BASE
> SAS (or SAS Display Manager) instead of SAS Enterprise Guide.
>
> But As you know Windows Server comes with only two terminal licenses.
> I see that we have SAS/CONNECT license (which came with BI suite). Can
> install BASE SAS on PC and use SAS/CONNECT to run code on the server?
> Or Do we have to buy PC license for BASE SAS?
>
> What's options we have. Please help.

Abc, I can't claim to know the ABC's of SAS licensing, so your best bet is to ask your ever friendly, ever helpful SAS representative and iron out both the technical and licensing issues.

What I can tell you is that you can't normally install SAS server software on a SAS workstation. So, you will likely need to purchase both Base SAS _AND_ SAS/Connect software for any PC's that you want to have talk to SAS/Connect on your SAS BI server.

Abc, best of luck in all of your SAS endeavors!

Of course, all of these opinions and insights are my own, and do not reflect those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

Michael A. Raithel
"The man who wrote the book on performance"
E-mail: MichaelRaithel(a)westat.com

Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the MVS Environment

Author: Tuning SAS Applications in the OS/390 and z/OS Environments, Second Edition
http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=58172

Author: The Complete Guide to SAS Indexes
http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=60409

Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to
outgrow small ones. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
From: xlr82sas on
On Oct 21, 8:11 am, abcu...(a)YAHOO.COM (Abc Unha) wrote:
> Hi,
> We have SAS EBI Server license. Many or our SAS Programmer wants to  use BASE
> SAS (or SAS Display Manager) instead of SAS Enterprise Guide.
>
> But As you know Windows Server comes with only two terminal licenses.
> I see that we have SAS/CONNECT license (which came with BI suite). Can I
> install BASE SAS on PC and use SAS/CONNECT to run code on the server?
> Or Do we have to buy PC license for BASE SAS?
>
> What's options we have. Please help.
>
> Thanks

Not sure this is possible or legal.

I wonder if it is possible to install the SAS learning addition on a
PC and buy just SAS connect.

If you can't do that then perhaps

If your server file system is mountable under windows you should be
able to offload a lot of SAS development to the learnining edition and
either write or purchase some sophisticated ultaedit/ftp program to
mirror batch server logs and lists. I have set up function keys in
display manager to submit highlighted display manager code or whole
programs ito unix batch. The log is automatically returned to my
windows display manager. note i.i has log, note j.j has list, noyr h.h
has a log scrub. I have SAS connect but it should be possible without
connect.

Pages: 1
Prev: Problem with Inobs
Next: 2 bars in proc gbarline