From: David Bolt on
On Friday 06 Aug 2010 19:00, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Kevin Miller painted this mural:

> I want to replace an old 80 GB SATA drive in a Dell Optiplex GX280 with
> a larger one - maybe up to a 1 TB. The current drives seem to be all
> SATA 3, drives, with a 300 mbps transfer rate. Will one of those work
> in an older computer?

Maybe, or maybe not. I had an old board with a SATA1 interface and it
was unable to talk to a SATA2 drive[0] without the drive being switched
into SATA1 mode on another system. After that, the drive worked fine.
My other solution was to buy an inexpensive SATA2 PCI card and attach
new drives to that. Of course, that'll only work if you've got an
available PCI slot.

> I don't expect it to run at 300 since the controller is only capable of
> doing 150 but before I shell out the $ I'd like to at least know they'll
> speak to each other.

If the drive has a jumper to set SATA1 mode, you'll have no problems.
If it doesn't, and requires changing to SATA1 using software, you may
get it working without using another system, or you might not.

[0] 500GB Samsung IIRC, although it might have been a 500GB Seagate.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
| | openSUSE 11.3RC2 32b |

From: Kevin Miller on
David Bolt wrote:
> On Friday 06 Aug 2010 19:00, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> Kevin Miller painted this mural:
>
>> I want to replace an old 80 GB SATA drive in a Dell Optiplex GX280 with
>> a larger one - maybe up to a 1 TB. The current drives seem to be all
>> SATA 3, drives, with a 300 mbps transfer rate. Will one of those work
>> in an older computer?
>
> Maybe, or maybe not. I had an old board with a SATA1 interface and it
> was unable to talk to a SATA2 drive[0] without the drive being switched
> into SATA1 mode on another system. After that, the drive worked fine.
> My other solution was to buy an inexpensive SATA2 PCI card and attach
> new drives to that. Of course, that'll only work if you've got an
> available PCI slot.
>
>> I don't expect it to run at 300 since the controller is only capable of
>> doing 150 but before I shell out the $ I'd like to at least know they'll
>> speak to each other.
>
> If the drive has a jumper to set SATA1 mode, you'll have no problems.
> If it doesn't, and requires changing to SATA1 using software, you may
> get it working without using another system, or you might not.
>

> [0] 500GB Samsung IIRC, although it might have been a 500GB Seagate.
>
> Regards,
> David Bolt

Thanks David - forewarned is forearmed!

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
From: David Bolt on
On Monday 09 Aug 2010 22:15, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Kevin Miller painted this mural:

<snip>

> Thanks David - forewarned is forearmed!

Had a search to see if I could find any more details[0], but couldn't
find it when doing a cursory search using Google. I can't tell which
drive it was as the system has both a Samsung and Seagate drive and
has recently had a new motherboard fitted so no need for the PCI card.
What I did find was this:

<http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/243507-14-sata-compatible-sata-ports>

The post by SomeJoe7777 has some info, including links to jumper
settings, although at least the Samsung link doesn't work. Almost at
the bottom is a link to this blog:

<http://home.icequake.net/~nemesis/blog/index.php/archives/298>

While it's talking about not being able to use a 1TB drive on a M/B, it
does have a link to the Samsung utility for configuring (some of?)
their drives to work at 1.5Gb/s rather than 3Gb/s.

Regards,
David Bolt

From: Philipp Thomas on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:30:23 -0400, LSMFT <boleyn7(a)aol.com> wrote:

>It will work fine. SATA runs at SATA1 1.5Gbit/s, SATA2 3.0Gbit/s or
>SATA3 6.0Gbit/s. If you upgrade your motherboard you'll be all set.

And *no* drive except maybe a few high price SSDs will really make use
of SATA 6GB. It's a bit like back in the days of UDMA Modi where
boards would boast with transfer rates no drive on the market would
come even close to.

Philipp
From: Kevin Miller on
David Bolt wrote:
> Had a search to see if I could find any more details[0], but couldn't
> find it when doing a cursory search using Google. I can't tell which
> drive it was as the system has both a Samsung and Seagate drive and
> has recently had a new motherboard fitted so no need for the PCI card.
> What I did find was this:
>
> <http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/243507-14-sata-compatible-sata-ports>
>
> The post by SomeJoe7777 has some info, including links to jumper
> settings, although at least the Samsung link doesn't work. Almost at
> the bottom is a link to this blog:
>
> <http://home.icequake.net/~nemesis/blog/index.php/archives/298>
>
> While it's talking about not being able to use a 1TB drive on a M/B, it
> does have a link to the Samsung utility for configuring (some of?)
> their drives to work at 1.5Gb/s rather than 3Gb/s.

Excellent resource - thanks again. Appreciate the detailed replies!