Prev: SATA 3
Next: Nagios plugins
From: Ron Gibson on
I'm using this primarily to have a Gnome desktop in order to use DVD::Rip.

I've googled for a fix for Totem and what I've found is not promising.

Can anyone point me toward the solution or confirm it's a losing battle.

It's not an OS killer issue, as I can also use Xine and MPlayer, but I'm a
sort of perfectionist. I also had a terrible time with Cups. I did an
"upgrade" and still, albeit my HP5440 was recognized, the test print
failed miserably.

I got it printing in black and white only by going to the HP website and
using their update tool for the HP drivers. I can live with that as the
vast majority of my printing is text only.

BTW, DVD::Rip workz grate :-)
From: EOS on
Ron Gibson wrote:

> I'm using this primarily to have a Gnome desktop in order to use DVD::Rip.
>
> I've googled for a fix for Totem and what I've found is not promising.

what's you're problem with Totem?

Is it a codec problem?
http://opensuse-community.org/codecs-gnome.ymp
--
EOS
www.photo-memories.be
From: Ron Gibson on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:07:16 +0200, EOS wrote:

>> I've googled for a fix for Totem and what I've found is not promising.

> what's you're problem with Totem?

Sorry. Should have been more specific. It won't play DVD's whereas all the
other MMedia apps I have will. And libdvdss is installed. I get this error
message...

The required software to play this file is not installed. You need to install
suitable codecs to play media files. Do you want to search for a codec
that supports the selected file?

I've gone through that search process and no go. I did find a
"sledgehammer" suggestion on an opensuse forum that would might require
the change of several codecs which I'm reluctant to do.

However, as soon as I get all the other nits fixed, I'll do a backup and
give that a whirl. If it bombs I'll just restore the backup.

> Is it a codec problem?
> http://opensuse-community.org/codecs-gnome.ymp

I believe I've tried this one but I can't be sure. I'll put it on my "To
Try" list and give it a whirl again.
From: EOS on
Ron Gibson wrote:

>> http://opensuse-community.org/codecs-gnome.ymp
>
> I believe I've tried this one but I can't be sure. I'll put it on my "To
> Try" list and give it a whirl again.

bottom line of "codecs-gnome.ymp" is:
not using libxine1, but gstreamer ;-)

From: arnold on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 10:59:54 -0400, Ron Gibson wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:07:16 +0200, EOS wrote:
>
>>> I've googled for a fix for Totem and what I've found is not promising.
>
>> what's you're problem with Totem?
>
> Sorry. Should have been more specific. It won't play DVD's whereas all
> the other MMedia apps I have will. And libdvdss is installed. I get this
> error message...
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------- The
> required software to play this file is not installed. You need to
> install suitable codecs to play media files. Do you want to search for a
> codec that supports the selected file?
>
> I've gone through that search process and no go. I did find a
> "sledgehammer" suggestion on an opensuse forum that would might require
> the change of several codecs which I'm reluctant to do.
>
> However, as soon as I get all the other nits fixed, I'll do a backup and
> give that a whirl. If it bombs I'll just restore the backup.
>
>> Is it a codec problem?
>> http://opensuse-community.org/codecs-gnome.ymp
>
> I believe I've tried this one but I can't be sure. I'll put it on my
> "To Try" list and give it a whirl again.

Ron,

Have you tried this site?

http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/11.3
 |  Next  |  Last