From: Kevin Miller on
I want to replace an old 80 GB SATA drive in a Dell Optiplex GX280 with
a larger one - maybe up to a 1 TB. The current drives seem to be all
SATA 3, drives, with a 300 mbps transfer rate. Will one of those work
in an older computer?

I don't expect it to run at 300 since the controller is only capable of
doing 150 but before I shell out the $ I'd like to at least know they'll
speak to each other.

Thanks...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
From: LSMFT on
Kevin Miller wrote:
> I want to replace an old 80 GB SATA drive in a Dell Optiplex GX280 with
> a larger one - maybe up to a 1 TB. The current drives seem to be all
> SATA 3, drives, with a 300 mbps transfer rate. Will one of those work in
> an older computer?
>
> I don't expect it to run at 300 since the controller is only capable of
> doing 150 but before I shell out the $ I'd like to at least know they'll
> speak to each other.
>
> Thanks...
>
> ...Kevin

It will work fine. SATA runs at SATA1 1.5Gbit/s, SATA2 3.0Gbit/s or
SATA3 6.0Gbit/s. If you upgrade your motherboard you'll be all set.

--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
From: FigureItOut on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:30:23 -0400, LSMFT <boleyn7(a)aol.com> wrote:

>Kevin Miller wrote:
>> I want to replace an old 80 GB SATA drive in a Dell Optiplex GX280 with
>> a larger one - maybe up to a 1 TB. The current drives seem to be all
>> SATA 3, drives, with a 300 mbps transfer rate. Will one of those work in
>> an older computer?
>>
>> I don't expect it to run at 300 since the controller is only capable of
>> doing 150 but before I shell out the $ I'd like to at least know they'll
>> speak to each other.
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> ...Kevin
>
>It will work fine. SATA runs at SATA1 1.5Gbit/s, SATA2 3.0Gbit/s or
>SATA3 6.0Gbit/s. If you upgrade your motherboard you'll be all set.

Jump into SAS and get a nice nine drive RAID array of 15k rpm drives.
From: Kevin Miller on
FigureItOut wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 20:30:23 -0400, LSMFT <boleyn7(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Kevin Miller wrote:
>>> I want to replace an old 80 GB SATA drive in a Dell Optiplex GX280 with
>>> a larger one - maybe up to a 1 TB. The current drives seem to be all
>>> SATA 3, drives, with a 300 mbps transfer rate. Will one of those work in
>>> an older computer?
>>>
>>> I don't expect it to run at 300 since the controller is only capable of
>>> doing 150 but before I shell out the $ I'd like to at least know they'll
>>> speak to each other.
>>>
>>> Thanks...
>>>
>>> ...Kevin
>> It will work fine. SATA runs at SATA1 1.5Gbit/s, SATA2 3.0Gbit/s or
>> SATA3 6.0Gbit/s. If you upgrade your motherboard you'll be all set.
>
> Jump into SAS and get a nice nine drive RAID array of 15k rpm drives.

Great! And I can do all that for the price of a 1T SATA, right? :-)

From: Kevin Miller on
LSMFT wrote:
> Kevin Miller wrote:
>> I want to replace an old 80 GB SATA drive in a Dell Optiplex GX280 with
>> a larger one - maybe up to a 1 TB. The current drives seem to be all
>> SATA 3, drives, with a 300 mbps transfer rate. Will one of those work in
>> an older computer?
>>
>> I don't expect it to run at 300 since the controller is only capable of
>> doing 150 but before I shell out the $ I'd like to at least know they'll
>> speak to each other.
>>
>> Thanks...
>>
>> ...Kevin
>
> It will work fine. SATA runs at SATA1 1.5Gbit/s, SATA2 3.0Gbit/s or
> SATA3 6.0Gbit/s.

Ah, thanks. So make that SATA 3 GB, not SATA 3 (6 Gb flavor).

> If you upgrade your motherboard you'll be all set.

Hmmm - not looking for bleeding edge, just a bit more real estate.
Think I'll just stick w/a new HD for now...