From: Mikey on
Sorry for the cross-posting, but I'm hoping someone out there will
have an answer for me.
Last weekend, I completed a migration from a 2003 SBS to a 2008 SBS. A
few glitches here & there, but one of the major problems is users at a
remote office cannot get their email now using Outlook 2007. It worked
fine with Exchange 2003, but not Exchange 2007 - why?
I have been on the Technet forums & last I was told this is not a
certificate error, as these clients are able to connect via OWA with
no problems or any warnings. Blackberries, iPhones, or any other kind
of smart phones have no problems, either.
When users try to open Outlook, they are prompted for a username &
password. I entered domain\username & then was prompted, twice,
something like would I like to allow
autodiscover.exchange.mydomain.xml to configure the settings (can't
remember exactly & can't get message to come up again), but I said
yes, twice & the in the lower right I get an alternating 'trying to
connect' message, followed by a 'disconnected' message.
I created an SRV record & deleted the * (All others) out of my public
DNS records.
When running the Test Email Configuration from one of the clients, I
get the following:
Autodiscover to https://mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
starting
Autodiscover to https://mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
FAILED (0x800C8203)
Autodiscover to https://autodiscover.mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
starting
Autodiscover to https://autodiscover.mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
FAILED (0x800C8203)
Local autodiscover for mydomain.com starting
Local autodiscover for mydomain.com FAILED (0x8004010F)
Redirect check to http://mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
starting
Redirect check to http://mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
FAILED (0x80072EE7)
Srv Record lookup for mydomain.com starting
Autodiscover URL redirection to https://exchange.mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
Autodiscover to https://exchange.mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
starting
Autodiscover to https://exchange.mydomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml
succeeded (0x00000000)
Srv Record lookup for mydomain.com succeeded (0x00000000)

I've been told it's a certificate error & then it's not, that I need a
different 3rd party certificate & then no I don't - what do I need to
get this to work?!?!?
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:15:05 -0700 (PDT), Mikey <texan767(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Sorry for the cross-posting, but I'm hoping someone out there will
>have an answer for me.
>Last weekend, I completed a migration from a 2003 SBS to a 2008 SBS. A
>few glitches here & there, but one of the major problems is users at a
>remote office cannot get their email now using Outlook 2007. It worked
>fine with Exchange 2003, but not Exchange 2007 - why?

How about some more details?

Is the remote office part of your LAN, or are they on a network that's
considered to be "the Internet"?

Are they using Outlook Anywhere?

If they put your autodiscover URL into a browser do they get the
expected response?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
- <Autodiscover
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/responseschema/2006">
- <Response>
- <Error Time="23:28:32.2816569" Id="1143903022">
<ErrorCode>600</ErrorCode>
<Message>Invalid Request</Message>
<DebugData />
</Error>
</Response>
</Autodiscover>

[ snip ]

>I've been told it's a certificate error & then it's not, that I need a
>different 3rd party certificate & then no I don't - what do I need to
>get this to work?!?!?

Visit http://testexchangeconnectivity.com and see what it tells you
about your configuration.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Mikey on
On Jun 18, 10:32 pm, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richn...(a)rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 18:15:05 -0700 (PDT), Mikey <texan...(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Sorry for the cross-posting, but I'm hoping someone out there will
> >have an answer for me.
> >Last weekend, I completed a migration from a 2003 SBS to a 2008 SBS. A
> >few glitches here & there, but one of the major problems is users at a
> >remote office cannot get their email now using Outlook 2007. It worked
> >fine with Exchange 2003, but not Exchange 2007 - why?
>
> How about some more details?
>
> Is the remote office part of your LAN, or are they on a network that's
> considered to be "the Internet"?
>
> Are they using Outlook Anywhere?
>
> If they put your autodiscover URL into a browser do they get the
> expected response?
>
>   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
> - <Autodiscover
> xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/autodiscover/responseschema/2006">
> - <Response>
> - <Error Time="23:28:32.2816569" Id="1143903022">
>   <ErrorCode>600</ErrorCode>
>   <Message>Invalid Request</Message>
>   <DebugData />
>   </Error>
>   </Response>
>   </Autodiscover>
>
>                                         [ snip ]
>
> >I've been told it's a certificate error & then it's not, that I need a
> >different 3rd party certificate & then no I don't - what do I need to
> >get this to work?!?!?
>
> Visithttp://testexchangeconnectivity.comand see what it tells you
> about your configuration.
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

The remote office is not part of our LAN, they are 'on the internet'.
When trying to connect to the autodiscover URL, yes, that is the
response they get.
As far as the test exchange site, the outlook anywhere failed,
autodiscover passed, pretty much like the messages included in my
original post.
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:23:05 -0700 (PDT), Mikey <texan767(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

[ snip ]

>> Visit http://testexchangeconnectivity.comand see what it tells you
>> about your configuration.
>> ---
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>
>The remote office is not part of our LAN, they are 'on the internet'.
>When trying to connect to the autodiscover URL, yes, that is the
>response they get.
>As far as the test exchange site, the outlook anywhere failed,
>autodiscover passed, pretty much like the messages included in my
>original post.

Yes, but the web site usually tells you a bot more about the failure.

Is the certificate you're using a SAN certificate? Is the CN of the
certificate the same one that your Outlook clients are trying to
connect to? Do you fill in both edit boxes in Outlook's "Exchange
proxy settings"? Are they both referencing the same server name?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Mikey on
On Jun 19, 6:56 pm, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richn...(a)rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:23:05 -0700 (PDT), Mikey <texan...(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>                                         [ snip ]
>
> >> Visithttp://testexchangeconnectivity.comandsee what it tells you
> >> about your configuration.
> >> ---
> >> Rich Matheisen
> >> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>
> >The remote office is not part of our LAN, they are 'on the internet'.
> >When trying to connect to the autodiscover URL, yes, that is the
> >response they get.
> >As far as the test exchange site, the outlook anywhere failed,
> >autodiscover passed, pretty much like the messages included in my
> >original post.
>
> Yes, but the web site usually tells you a bot more about the failure.
>
> Is the certificate you're using a SAN certificate? Is the CN of the
> certificate the same one that your Outlook clients are trying to
> connect to? Do you fill in both edit boxes in Outlook's "Exchange
> proxy settings"? Are they both referencing the same server name?
> ---
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

No, it's not a san certificate, does it need to be?
I've heard yes & I've heard no. If buying a san certificate would fix
my problem, I'll do it, but I don't want to buy one & have the same
old problem.
Yes, both boxes reference the same server...